View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
You guys are talking about the HF portable impact that clips to your battery right?
I have one of those $19.99 wonders myself. I've used it to remove TJ front axle nuts on numerous occasions.

It was pressed into service just last weekend.....I was trying to figure out how crank in some torque on the power steering pump pulley puller and I remember I had that little impact sitting under the bench. I grabbed it from the case, hooked it up to my YELLOW TOP OPTIMA battery (which is now 4 years old and still going strong in the REALLY HOT Arizona summers), and broke the pulley loose from the pump shaft. Yeah, it took about 45 seconds, but I decided that was a fair enough given my alternative was a rachet and hammer.

I've had an HF floor jack for 3~4 years now and it still works fine. I also have a set of their 12 ton jack stands.

Like Robert, I've used the heck ouf of my 3-in-1 HF u-joint tool. Unlike Robert, I've not tried to take any ball joints apart with it. If mine were to fail today, I would have gotten my $29 (bought it on sale) worth out of it a couple of years ago.....no doubt about it. I've used it to disassemble/reassembled two CV drive shafts, rebuild 3 pairs of D30 axle shafts, and do a smattering of u-joint repairs on the trails for others. I know I've done a couple of projects with other local Jeepers but I don't recall them.