View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Like a sledgehammer.

If all optimas were representative of Stu's, there'd be no contest. Unfortunately a statistical average of 1 is not enough to convince me, especially when mine, several of my buddies, two shops, and an ambulance company have thousands of dollars invested in junk optimas to represent a statistical average of a hundred or so.

I guarantee if I could get that performance out of them, I'd buy a hundred of them tomorrow. Considering that we run 50 units with an average of 3 batteries each, that's not much of a stretch. Our hightops in fact, run four.
I won't dispute that one bit, Blaine. What puzzles me more than anything is trying to find a rationale for the descrepancy.

I've been running an Optima blue top for right at 4 years in my Jeep, with good results (but it is beginning to show signs of getting tired). The emergency vehicles in our County fleet are all running Optima yellow tops. The '99 Crown Vic assigned to me as a take-home vehicle had a yellow top in it from new, and got a replacement yellow top installed last winter. Not too bad for an emergency vehicle (lights, siren, radios, etc.).

I can understand an occasional "bad apple" in any production process, but broad reports of multiple "failures" vs. multiple "good reports" has me wondering.

With that said, I'm thinking about a battery swap in the TJ before this winter. Comparing Optima vs Odyssey and I am torn.