View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 03:06 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Folks. I am sorry this is taking so long to document. Other things have been getting in my way, and they aren?t even wheeling. Here is the first section on the wiring instructions. There will be more to follow as time permits.

Jeep Wire Connector Locations

The Light Chaos System will be connected to specific wires in your Jeep?s lighting system. In order to find these wires you first need to know where to find the connectors that hold these wires.

This section of the document will show you where to find the connectors in two model year groups.

1997 ? 2002 Jeep TJ
All the connecters you will be interested in to install the Light Chaos System for your 1997 through 2002 Jeep TJ are located on the driver side kick panel under the dash.

Stick your head under there and take a look.

Here is a drawing.

You will see a total of eight (8) connectors in a row.

Here is a photo identifying each connector by number and color. This should make them easier to identify.

The connectors you will be interested in are labeled on the left with arrows pointing to the right. These are connectors C322, C106, C107 and C108.

To gain easier access to these connectors and wires, it may be helpful to remove the knee panel under the steering column.

To do this, remove the two trim screws and then the plastic cover.

Next remove the four screws holding the steel knee panel in place. The knee panel can then be removed. This should give you better access to these connectors.

2003 ? 2004 Jeep TJ
Beginning in 2003, Jeep completely re-engineered the Jeep TJ wiring harness. There are two connectors you need to locate, C107 and the Multi-Function Switch C1 connector.

Connector C107
Connector C107 is a rather large, 40 pin connector located on the driver side kick panel. It is Yellow.

Here is a barrowed drawing showing its location.

I am sorry but I have no picture of this actual connector. If anyone can take one and post it or send it to me I would appreciate it.

(This is a placeholder for a future picture of the 2003-2004 Connector 107 CON0304LP.jpg. Please ignore this note and the black picture below. If the picture isn?t blank then pay attention to it! .)

This connector has 40 pins arranged in four rows.

The rows are labeled from top to bottom and have the following number of pins; A = 8, B = 12, C = 12 and D = 8.

Here is a drawing to show the pin-out numbering system Jeep uses for this connector. You will need to know this to find the wires you are looking for later.

Multi-Function Switch - C1

The Multi-Function Switch - C1 connector is located inside the steering column, on the top under the plastic sheathing.

You will have to remove the sheathing from around the ignition key and turn signal stalk to access this connector. Please see your Factory Service Manual for instruction on how to do this safely by disabling the air bag.

Once you have the sheathing off, you will see Connector C1. It is Gray and has 20 pins arranged in two rows of ten (10).

Here is a barrowed drawing of the Multi-Function Switch - C1 connector.

You now know where to find all of the connectors you will need to install the Light Chaos System. Please note, you will be working with specific wires going to these connectors and not the connectors themselves.

When doing the wiring, it is best to remove the factory electrical tape from the wiring harness about 4 to 6 inches from the connector so you can better access and hide the wires you will be tapping into.

When you are done you will re-tape the harness to make it look factory again.

Installation Instructions

In this section I will walk you through how to wire-up the Light Chaos System as I have designed it.

Please refer to the Light Chaos Circuit Drawing as you perform your wiring tasks.

Always disconnect the battery while performing these wiring tasks. At times you will need to reconnect the battery to test things as you go. This will seem like a never-ending task, but please do it for safety?s sake.

In most cases I will not be telling you how to connect wires. You can use crimp-on connectors, butt connectors or solder the wires. Any of these choices are fine. Just be sure to do it right and double-check each connection before moving on to the next.

Preliminary steps

Diodes (1N400x)

If you are following my recommendation to install the 1N400x diode across the relay coil wires, now is a good time to do so.

You will need to do this to the Power Relay Socket, and to the two Headlight Relay Sockets if you are installing the Headlight Flash Function.

To install these diodes you will need some solder and a soldering iron.

Install the diodes at the base of the socket by stripping away about an 1/8-inch of insulation from the wires going to pin 85 and pin 86.

Take a close look at the diodes. You will see a ?band? painted around one end of the diode. Take the diode lead closest to the band and solder it to the wire going to the relay socket number 86.

Solder the other end of the diode to the wire going to pin 85 on the relay socket.

Do this for the Power Relay Socket and the other two other sockets used for the Headlight Flash Function if you are installing this.

Ground Terminal

Now would be a good time to crimp the grounding terminal needed for each relay socket.

The grounding terminal will simply bolt to the Jeep?s body when you install the relays.

It should be attached to the end of the wire coming from pin 85 on each relay socket.

Component Location

If you haven?t already done so, remove the knee panel under the steering column so you can get to the wires and find a good place to mount the Power Relay and Electronic Alternating Flasher. Pick a spot as high up as possible. You can also mount them on the backside of the steel knee panel plate.

Mount the Power Relay and socket, and EAF in the location of your choice. Make sure you mount the grounding wire from socket pin 85 to ground. I do this buy using the same bolt that mounts the relay flange to the body.

OK, we?re ready to do some wiring.

Caution: During this and all other testing, be sure any exposed wires coming from the relay socket are not touching anything. At times during testing there will be voltage present on these wires. I recommend you temporarily cover the exposed ends of all relay socket wires with electrical tape to prevent any possibility of a short while going through the install process.

Please print this drawing on a color printer. This is what we will be wiring up. If you are planning on installing the Headlight Flash Function I will cover that add-on a bit later.

ADE Control Wire

In this step we are going to wire the ADE System to the Light Chaos System. This wire will allow the ADE system to control the Light Chaos system.

Disconnect your Jeep?s battery.

Self-built

If you built your own ADE system from the plans I put out in the public domain you will need to perform two steps to enable the ADE System to control the Light Chaos System.

Here is a drawing of the ADE System now, as you built and installed it on your Jeep.

Disconnect the blue jumper wire connected to Pin 5 (connecting pin 5 to pin 6). Re-solder this wire to Pin #3 of the ADE relay socket.

Connect (and solder) a new 18-gauge wire from Pin # 2 on the ADE relay socket to Pin 86 on the Light Chaos (LC) Power Relay.

Here is a drawing of the ADE system and how the wiring should look when you have finished these two tasks. (See the blue wires?)

Purchased ADE-II

If you purchased an ADE-II system you will find a single crimp-on butt connector near the relay. You will need to crimp an 18-gauge wire to this butt connector and attach the other end of this wire to the LC Power Relay wire coming from Pin 86 on the socket.

Here is a drawing of the ADE-II system showing where you need to connect this wire. (See Blue Wire you will be adding on Right.)

Testing the ADE System Control

If you haven?t already done so, ground the Power Relay using the wire coming from pin 85. Make sure you plug the relay into the socket as well. Then connect your Jeep?s battery.

Caution: During this and all other testing, be sure any exposed wires coming from the relay socket are not touching anything. At times during testing there will be voltage present on these wires. I recommend you temporarily cover the exposed ends of all relay socket wires with electrical tape to prevent any possibility of a short while going through the install process.

Test:

Do this:
Hold the LC Power relay in your hand.
Turn the Jeep?s Ignition Key on.

Resulting in this:
You should feel the LC Power Relay energize (click).

Do this:
Swipe the ADE System Reed switch with your magnet.

Resulting in this:
You should feel the LC Power Relay de-energize (another click).

If you do not feel the Power Relay ?click? in both directions go back and double-check your work. Something is loose or not electrically or mechanically connected.

It clicks, right?

Good, The ADE system is now in control of the Light Chaos System.

Let?s go to the next step.

Frank