View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 11:17 AM

I agree on most of what you say but after years of me being against dropping the CW requirement, strongly believing CW (Morse code) should be a part of the General or higher class of licenses, I'm no longer against dropping the CW portion of the test except on the Extra Class where it should definitely remain.

Let's face it, ham radio is in danger of dying out due to the Internet and people no longer having much interest in building their own equipment like there was in the days of Heathkits, of which I built over 40. The CW portion of the test is a huge hurdle that in the face of the ability to instantly communicate around the world via emails, IMs, etc., is something few have any interest in learning any more. Knowing the Morse code is a mark of distinction, obviously, and a source of pride but sheesh, again, ham radio is a dying hobby and manufacturers of ham radio equipment are struggling.

If a whole new surge of interest in ham radio happens because of easier General class upgrades that also drives more sales of big HF rigs, antennas, DX'ing, etc. due to the elimination of the CW portion of the test, then I have come to the difficult decision that it's now a good thing for ham radio.

Let's also face it that those codeless Techs aren't getting a true 'ham experience' with their little hand-talkies and 50 watt FM radios that mostly depend on repeaters. That's just not very darned exciting stuff if you get down to it. If it weren't for HF and my love of DX'ing, I wouldn't have bothered with my own recent ham radio license upgrade.