View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
If a whole new surge of interest in ham radio happens because of easier General class upgrades that also drives more sales of big HF rigs, antennas, DX'ing, etc. due to the elimination of the CW portion of the test, then I have come to the difficult decision that it's now a good thing for ham radio.
Let's also face it that those codeless Techs aren't getting a true 'ham experience' with their little hand-talkies and 50 watt FM radios that mostly depend on repeaters. That's just not very darned exciting stuff if you get down to it. If it weren't for HF and my love of DX'ing, I wouldn't have bothered with my own recent ham radio license upgrade.
I agree that a surge of interest is needed but not at the expense of the people that already paid their dues. Maybe giving a new class of license and a very small portion each low band would entice these semi interested folks into taking the steps into a more serious interest in the hobby and earning more privliges.

I must admit that I haven't been active for years, but when I was, the 2 meter radio was the cell phone of the day. That was kind of what I used it for, to keep in touch with my dad. Now that cell service is what it is, I don't have much use for it. Like you I love the low bands and that was the reason for my interest in the hobby.
Have you ever read a magazine called Nuts and Volts?