View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 08:32 AM

Jerry,

I do believe you that things like that have happened. However, logically I have a problem with it.

My name is Juan, I'm here illegally. I pick strawberries for Mr. Wong's farm in Anaheim. I make some money, my kid goes to public school for free, America is a nice place to live, maybe I catch a Dodger game every once in a while. I have a decent apartment. Life is good.

Do I want "the man" to know who I am? No. Registering to vote requires an address. Why tell anyone anything about me, let alone vote for someone who I don't know about issues that don't concern me. What more can you give me - unless you are promissing citizenship. Sure a drivers license is nice, but do you really think that I can't tap into the network and get a fake license, or a fake social, or a fake Greencard? Happens every day.

I don't buy that a politician can wander into a neighborhood and drum up enough votes for this to be a concern. These people are used to corrupt politicians and payoffs, but there is more at stake when they are in the states - if they are found to be illegal they can be sent home.

Now - I do believe that the hispanic voters will vote more democrat because they are seen as less of a threat to non-whites, but I'm talking legal aliens here.

Jeff