View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
When using only one battery - or two in parallel, yes the amperage is lower, but it's very hard to get the arc started, Open circuit voltage is too low for an easy start. Once it's going it's OK.
But trying to get it started like that while lying on your back on an anthill with the sun in your eyes it's not much fun. (Why does that always seem to happen?)

I just wondered (spelled hoped) if someone had an easy trick to cut down the amperage.

Otherwise I love the RW.

Sometimes the gun is a bit big to get into some places. At a welding supply store I found some copper tips that are about 3" long. I had to thread the ends 1/4 x 20 as I recall. Then they screwed right in.
Then I took a short hunk of copper tube to extend the shielded end around that long tip. Now can reach into places that the stock way couldn't. Cost? maybe $2.

That and the cold switch sure made life easier.
It's not the amperage that's the issue. It's the voltage. The reason it won't start the arc with one battery or two in parallel is the voltage is too low.

I'd like to carry a 6 volt battery sometime to see what it does on 18 volts instead of 24. Seems to be about the right voltage for most of the stuff we repair on the trail.

But, as I said earlier, learn how to trigger weld for the thinner stuff. It will do just about anything you want after that.

I'm still looking to adapt a tig ceramic cone onto mine to stop that hot arc.