View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Hi Blaine,

I don't think I would argue with any of the points you have made simply becuase I find myself in agreement with most. However I would suggest that "requiring illegal's" to demonstrate they have the basic minimum driving skills and knowledge of everyone else on the road is indeed a good thing, and is not opening the door for a toe hold or a foot hold.

On second thought perhaps it is a toe hold in the door. Yet I would ask, "who should care about a toe in the door when the flood gates are open?"

One only need to look at the school system in San Diego as Joe has explained to see the difference.

The problem as I see it is not driver licenses for illegal's. The problem (and frustration) is that we in this country are not MOTIVATED to deal with illegal's by both preventing them from entering the country illegally, and deporting those who have entered illegally.

If we are a country based in law, then we should demand of our politicians, our leaders and ourselves that the laws be followed. It is not enough to talk the talk, we, all of us, must be EFFECTIVE at it.

Good night my friend. I have to get some sleep.

Frank
That is in fact the perfunctory glance that is what we are fighting. It is not wrong to require the basic minimum skills and giving them a chunk of plastic to verify it. If that is where it would stop, no one would have an issue with it.

The sad fact is that a CA drivers license is the primary form of ID to open the door to many free services afforded primarily to citizens. Not that I care that much whether non citizens take advantage of them, but they are not free and are funded by taxes. Hence my reference to our overwhelmed infrastructure.

Before anyone attempts to make the point that illegals pay taxes, let me say in my personal experience doing construction that typically they work for cash and don't pay the same amount of tax that the rest of us are burdened with.

So yes, you are correct that the problem is not demanding a modicum of displayed and documented driving skill, but is more in fact us looking for a baby seal to club.