View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Robert;
Here I am on the waterfall at "Judgement Day." Is that vertical enough? Yes; I made it.

Notice the unloaded front suspension at full droop? That happens very quickly sometimes offering no traction on the front tires. This same thing often happens with Revolvers in the SOA configuration and with "Missing Links" as well. Sometimes added travel can hurt you. This is why you'll see dedicated trail rigs with a center mounted limiting strap that doesn't let the front end droop this far. Also on many buggies; they run a winch cable to the front diff and draw the nose down as needed to assist in climbs.

Yes, this is clear for me, as I've had many of the Jeeps past, including VEX, in these situations, but always had to come up and over the escarpment alone, generally winching if it was too steep. I've let VEX down 90' cliffs too with the rear winch, to prove cable trust hardware and winch brakes etc, but I don't bounce VEX much getting things ariborne. There is a time and place for power up, as you all know, but I avoid this as much as possible since I hate breaking stuff all day long.

I'm still not completely clear how the coils unload, per se', since there is no tension or spring wind up with the front end air borne like that in you photo, in that the suspension is just hanging at full droop in your case?

Also, if the Jeep then comes down, through the power up to get up and over, what is the downside of this and what purpose is a limiting strap if articulation is desired.

There's a common dynamic I am missing on this.

Thank you for taking the time with me on this.
robert@behold-the-rage.com
406-755-9765