View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
What makes me twitchy is that I should have dumped my stock when I could.
I'm assuming you are talking about feeling like you need to wait for the price to come back up to sell (rather than being constrained by insider trading window restrictions or something like that). If so that may be an expensive way to look at it. It doesn't matter what the stock price was yesterday, last week, or last month. It only matters where it is today and where you think it will be in the future (how far out depends on what you need the money for).

I speak from very painful experience on that after making that mistake in the tech crash in 2000 and losing about 90% of everything I had. These days I've learned to "take my medicine" when I'm late to recognize it is time to get out and just take the loss. So far in this decline doing that has kept my losses way below those of the market.

Just something to consider. I'm not saying anybody should sell anything, just don't let the common feeling of "well, I haven't actually lost the money if I don't sell it" influence you to do something different than you think is otherwise right.

Sorry for the long unsolicited reply to tell you something you already know