View Single Post
Old 07-05-2002, 12:46 PM

The more I think about it and re-read that article, it probably is a fair picture of the Rubicon Trail on the 4th of July.
The week-end before the 4th, when I was there, the situation was similar. Spider Lake was obviously a place to party. Drinking, loud music, comings and goings all through the night with music blaring seemed to be the norm. Crapping on the rocks going into the lake seemed acceptable to some previous visitors. Toilet paper is all over the place. Cans are left in fire pits as if they will magically disappear. At Little Sluice, head banging music, beer drinking and heckling folks doing the obstacles also seemed to be normal behavior.
I know I'm an old fart, but I doubt you will see me on the Rubicon Trail on a week end again. On Sunday night the quiet was bliss. You could hear the crickets! There were few on the trail Monday. I'm sad for those that have no time other than week ends to get out. My next visit will definitely be on week days and I can guarantee there will be a next visit if it's still open!
Ron