View Single Post
Old 07-05-2002, 06:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
The Times article was written to make us "Jeeper" look as if we were all idiots. The reporter did this by taking partly true info, twisting it and misquoting it until he had this article, which is total BS on how bad it makes the TRUE "JEEPER" look to the unknowing public (Nonjeeper).

Examples:

Toyota with 625 hp Monster truck - RIGHT! It didn't have 625 hp and it wasn't a monster truck - might of had a v-8 and large tires. 37" tires arn't the same as 6' tires but the uninformed reader does't know that. He/she only knows what they have seen on tv - REAL MOSTER TRUCKS.

I would like to see info backing up his "Estimates" -
- 70,000 visitors each summer - if so it looks great for that many people!
- 75,000 lbs of human waste ? Thats a REAL LOT!

"Human waste fouls the path" - sure Spider Lake sucks but the rest of the trail is quit nice and clean - Tony in our camp used a trash bag and cleaned up our whole area before we left. We even picked up some trash on the way out.

The trail isn't 22 miles long. The Rubicon is around 9 miles with the fire road on the way out through Mickinnly lake area making up the rest. The Tahoe water district thing along Mickinnly was in part created by locals doing snow/mub runs during the winter. That is why a snow drift was put at the enterance by Homewood to keep winter time snow/mud runs down until the ground dried up.

I have never seen a Lake be used as "a water challange" by any jeep.

They don't stack their jeeps on top of each other, they stack tires on each other - again a complete different visual to the unknowing person reading this article.

I believe this guy did all his interviews with these people as if he was going to be the "GOOD GUY" and write a "PRO RUBICON" article. He most likely faked out all these guys and minipulated all their quotes. It is sad to see people write stuff like this. It is hard enough to explain to nonjeepers the correct way we Jeep and take care of our lands. However when guys like this, spread lies to people who belive everything they read in the paper, it makes our position hard to gain public support. These nonjeepers just let the politians do the closing because they all think we only go out with our Jeeps to destroy instead of enjoy.

Once again a couple of guys make it look bad for the rest, even though they were most likely faked out by this reporter, who lied through his teeth. I hope this reports career goes down the tubes.

mark hinkley
orgs mfg