View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 11:56 PM

The Rubicon is no different than a work place. There will always be ?Yahoo?s? wherever you go. There are people who are not too bright and others who lack ethics, morals and principals. Every work place is the same; if you change jobs you just have a different set of ?Yahoo?s? to deal with. Not everybody views life the same way. It?s just the nature of some people, and you can?t change a person?s true nature, you can only change how you deal with the situation. If everyone acted and thought like responsible four wheelers and environmentalists, then the problem would not exist. But that is just not reality.

For instance, if a sign was posted at the beginning of the Rubicon trail that stated ?No Alcohol Beyond This Point? and stiff fines were imposed of anyone who was caught, do you think that the behavior of the people would change? I?m not talking about the casual drinker, I?m speaking of people who look for something to do while they are drinking. Or would it just cause them to go somewhere else? Is that what we are trying to accomplish, to make them go somewhere else that we wouldn?t care to go so that we can enjoy our trails? Or are we trying to make it stop all together? How can we accomplish what we want without imposing more restrictions and laws upon everyone? By banishing the ?Drunken Yahoo?s? the casual drinker is also affected. Would the people who were interviewed act differently if the ?No Alcohol? ban were imposed? I?d have to venture that they wouldn?t be there in the first place.

By closing the trails the same rules are imposed upon everyone, and no one gets to enjoy the trails. Is there some way that we can fight to keep the trails open and the ?Drunken Yahoo?s? out at the same time? It is obvious that they don?t care if the trails are closed or not, they will just go somewhere else, and then when that place gets closed, they will just move on to the next place not caring about the impact that they are having on others.

I?m not attacking anyone or any group here, I?m just wondering if it would be different. I don?t have the answers.