View Single Post
Old 07-08-2002, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
It is obvious that they don?t care if the trails are closed or not, they will just go somewhere else, and then when that place gets closed, they will just move on to the next place not caring about the impact that they are having on others.
Heh, very true unfortunately. That is the part that is killing the image of our sport but we are not alone. I guess what gripes me though is that the forest service and other agencies routinely cater to the elements of the public that are not interested in recreation but rather in the party they can have so why should we be any different?

Blaine, I disagree with your thought that if we invited Huell Howser that folks would say its a set-up. So what if it is - we say the same thing about the anti recreationists and it doesn't bother them in the least. I think the idea is to get a particular viewpoint out in the public's mind. The Sierra Club routinely gets $20 here and there from joe couch potato and his wife who see their crap in the newspaper or the discovery channel without those people ever giving a thought to the groups' true agenda.

I do think though, if Howser were to be invited, it would have to be on a run where there is some historical interest with the main form of access being via Jeep. I do not think he is the right guy to take rock-crawling. I think the Rubicon, if even only for a day, would be a great run to take him on as an example.