View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

As Blaine said, with the rain letting up, we completed the rear yesterday. We welded on the Poly kit to the driver's side, put everything in place (including Blaine's awesome trackbar), hooked up the air lines to the rear shocks, and took the Jeep for a drive.

After breaking in the brake pads, braking is pretty amazing. The Jeep now stops like crazy, it is so good that I have to learn to be gentle with the brake pedal.

The ride is outstanding, all suspension components work very well together. The Jeep eats road imperfections like they are not there, and adjusting the shocks on the fly is really cool. We cranked up the shocks on the freeway, and we came upon a stretch where you can normally feel those freeway sections. With my RE suspension, it would beat me up, with the new setup we could still feel them, but it was much smoother. Now, the beauty of the system is that we immediately set the front to a medium setting and the rear to a soft one, virtually eliminating the annoying bouncing most vehicles would be subject to. BTW, for anyone considering this system, it doesn't leak. We set the front shocks pressure two weeks ago and it was exactly the same yesterday.

The SwayLoc kept the body from leaning in a curve, allowing us to take one of those looping freeway onramp at 40 mph without any hesitation. Now, you can actually accelerate through a turn and keep the Jeep under control instead of breaking to keep it from getting away from you.

The steering is great, the Jeep goes exactly where you want it to go. Taking shopping centers/gas station driveways, it doesn't jerk you around and it doesn't get away from under you.

Overall, I am very impressed and happy with the results. It is a totally different vehicle than what I started with. With a little more dialing in, it will be complete.

Today, we weren't able to get anything accomplished, as the rain came back. What's left is to dial everything in, and to install the Setrab transmission cooler.

Yesterday, I forgot my camera and there was too much rain today, so you'll have to wait a bit for pictures.