View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Well, today we did some more work on the Jeep, mainly transmission cooler time.

Things started off in an interesting way. I had bought a couple gauges, and upon arriving at Blaine’s, I discovered they were mechanical gauges. So, off to Kragen we went. After driving around town to multiple stores, we finally came back only to discover that this time, it took two of us to buy, yes you guessed it, another set of mechanical gauges. So, after yet another trip, 3.5 hours later I finally had the Holy Grail, and I proudly showed my electrical gauges to Blaine. But wait, there’s more… Because they were water temp gauges, there was no T-fitting, so no gauge install right now.

Anyway, the way the system will run is out of the transmission, through the radiator cooler, through the Setrab, and back into the transmission. So, we got one of the transmission lines out and here it is

Here it is again, this time in 2 pieces

Blaine silver soldered fittings on both newly cut ends so we could run hoses to the cooler without having any leaks.

Pretty sweet end result.

Now, here they are back where they belong.

For the cooler, we used a Setrab oil cooler. A few months back, we did some testing for the hydronic tent heater system with some coolers Blaine had stashed away in his super secret cabinet. We discovered that although the B&M cooler was ok, the Setrab blew it away in the efficiency department (http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12284). So we took one and Blaine couldn’t wait to make a bracket to mount the fan to it. Here it is mounted on the tub, just behind the transfer case on the left side. You’ll also notice an inline thermostat, designed to turn the fan on when the temp reaches 175 degrees.

To make sure there is enough air flow and to minimize vibrations, we used a set of these nice rubber isolators to space the cooler down.

Now, the way it will be wired will be with a master on/off switch to close the circuit in case of a water crossing, so not to damage the fan. A red LED is also being installed on the dash to let me know when the circuit opens and the fan kicks in, LED on = fan on. Once I get my head out of my arse and get the correct gauge , we will put one by the transfer case shifter with a switch to get an in & out temperature reading with 2 inline senders.

A bit more work tomorrow, and we should be done.