View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

We finished things off today by hooking up the electrical for the fan. As mentioned before, the fan comes on at 175 degrees by means of a thermostat, and a red LED lights up on the dash to let me know that it is on. The switch directly below the LED is the master switch to turn the fan off in case of a deep water crossing.

We then went for a drive. That reminds me:

Tech Tip of the Day: If you unplug the TCM from the side of the transmission, don't forget to plug it back in. If you do, your Jeep will only know 1 gear only, no upshifting, no downshifting.

After we fixed the little snafu, everything worked as expected, and Blaine told me to take a certain route which has a big dip to see if the rear UCA would hit the cooler. So, off we went, and at the first speed bump, he asked me why I was slowing down. So, naturally when we came to the dip, I didn't slow down and got the Jeep off the ground. Upon inspection, the UCA just grazed the side of the mounting bracket and we called it good since if it didn't hit the cooler then, it is safe to say it won't.

Coming home and driving steady at 70 mph, the fan kicked on about 7-8 miles after getting on the freeway, with outside temps being in the mid to upper 70s. About 45 miles later, I stopped for gas, and before I could pump 5 gallons into the tank, the fan shut down. Very nice.

I also played with the shocks controller and I can really feel the difference between the various settings. I'll keep playing with them on various surfaces.

Although Blaine is slow, expensive, and does crappy work, a huge thanks goes out to him. This is one nice riding TJ, and I am extremely happy with the results. I'll use the it as a DD for a while to get a feel for it, and I'll report back along with some more pictures of all the stuff we've done.