View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 07:28 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Did I mention how mush easier it is doing Differential, Axle and Suspension work on a lift is?

Well it is!!!

Control Arms

The single best think I did in this rebuild was to rework and replace the control arms completely.

My Jeep had a set of adjustable TeraFlex Upper in the Rear and adjustable TerFlex Lowers in the front, I used Stock control arms with no problems at all for the others. Remember it is only a 4-inch AirRock Lift.

Those stock arms are incredible if you can use them.

I have had a suspension ?Clunk? for the last 20K miles or so. In truth it was driving me nuts.

I had rebuilt the control arms four times and the the track bars, front and rear, replace all body to frame mounting bolts, and still I had a clunk.

Finally I just ordered eight New JSK Control arms and NEW Control Arm Bolts, took my Jeep to my friends with the lift at MIG Off Road and Jessie and Conn got rid of my clunk for me.

Seems the frame mounts had worn just a tad.

There not suppose to, but mine did.

I had Jessie weld in some 10.9 grade metric washers to the frame where the control arm bolts go through.

Then I held him up while things cooled so I could paint the new washers so they wouldn?t rust. (Drove him nuts, but he?s my friend so he forgives me.)

Installed the JKS control arms and took it for a spin!

WOW WOW! (Double Wow!) Should have done this a long time ago.

Tight is the only way to describe it.

Like new might be another way.

The Jeep tracks firmly in a way I never expected it ever would again after a lift and 98K miles. I am very pleased with this upgrade.

It really is the best part of this entire effort. Clearly noticeable.

If you have never seen or held a JKS Control arm I your hands you need to. While Pricey they are really incredible heavy and strong. They also use rubber bushing which softens things up a bit.

I think part of the ride and control difference can be attributed to the JKS arms, but I think most of it is a result of welding those washers to the frame to eliminate the elongated holes that the control arm bolts go through.

Next time you pull your control arms, check these frame boltholes out.

Put a NEW bolt in them and see if it moves side to side.

There shouldn?t be much movement at all.

If there is, you might want to weld in some 10.9 grade washers. I really do think this is what made the most difference of all.

Responsive, is another good word to describe the difference this made.

The Jeep tracks straight as can be, and responds when I turn the wheel without any sense delay or of extra play or understear as it did before.

Best of all, No CLUNK anymore (and I have my sanity back.).

That?s about it for tonight. I will get some pictures up hopefully tomorrow. I?m sure I?ll have a few more things to share about this rebuild as well, when my mind isn?t so tired.

Once again I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

God Bless you and yours,

Frank