View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up It's December 31st, 2003. I am back from my vacation.

I didn't go far, but it was remarkable non the less, and the company was awesome. Here is a short description:

Jamie (Wind_Danzer), arrived on 23rd, and we spend the night at a very sweet hotel in WeHo: Le Park Suites. In the morning we checked out a rugs store, local Home Depot, and drove around on the Beachwood Drive, taking pictures of the Hollywood sign.

Then we headed out to Johnson Valley, where Blaine and Kat had already setup the camp. We decorated the Christmass tree, and there was a huge pile of presents under it

Next morning, Christmas Day, after opening the presents, we headed out to run the Sunbonnet. The funny thing has happened: I L-shape slashed one of the tire's sidewall even before getting to any trails, and then in the middle of Hells Gate (the optional entrance section before the Sunbonnet) I put a long straight gash into another tire. To get my jeep off the trail Blaine sewed the damaged tire with a lace. It worked: we turned around and got back to camp. It started to rain, and kept on raining for quiet a while...

We barely started wheeling, and my jeep was already short on tires, with the tire stores closed for Christmass. I called Robert for help, and he said, "Sure, no problem". We have some of the best friends. Next morning, Robert and his daughter Kendra brought tires off Robert's jeep. My jeep was ready to wheel again, and we hit the Clawhammer that very day. Thank you very much Robert. You rock!

On the last wheeling day we run the Sledgehammer. The morning after, we watched Garry run the Back door, and then headed out to Dana Point. The Mission San Juan Capistrano was one of the destinations we checked out. It's a very nice place, and surprisingly big.

Then, we headed to Long Beach, stopping at Crystal Cove for the scenery, and in Huntington Beach to barbecue some chicken breasts by the ocean.

The next night we spent aboard the RMS Queen Mary. That place is amazing. I recommend it highly.

In the morning we checked out a Russian Project 641 'Foxtrot' class Submarine, that was on exhibit. I made sure to turn every dial I could put my hands on, before noticing the sign, "The submarine is still operational, please do not touch any controls". Fortunately we didn't sink, and did not launch any torpedoes.

Then we went to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific, to check out fishes and all other kinds of sea creatures. They also have a large enclosed area with lorikeets, where you can go in, and feed them, and play with the birds. After the Aquarium we spent some time in the movie theater, watching "Lord of the Rings".

Jamie, thank you very much for spending the week over here. I had great time!