View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Well, after seeing it hooked up to your rig, I was astounded at how well it looked and how little it squatted the back of the rig.
Yes, pretty amazing. I was waiting for the rear end to sag, and I was pleasantly surprised. This trailer is very well balanced. I recently sold my Body Armor rear bumper/carrier and bought a Hanson rear bumper with no carrier (same as the Currie bumper you guys are running). This alone had my Jeep rear end go up between 1 and 2 inches due to the weight reduction. The amazing thing about all this is that when the trailer is hooked up, it is virtually back to where it sat with the Body Armor carrier (although I don't have the spare on yet).

I think that with the rework of the suspension on the TJ and the addition of the Rancho 9000, it will be much nicer. Being able to "firm up" the rear shocks when the trailer is hooked up will help.

Quote:
I am happy you decided to go and look at it after I visited it yesterday. The fit, finish, quality and how well thought out it is makes a lot of the alternatives out there seem like home built garage projects in comparison.
Well, a big thanks to you for taking the time to look at it for me, I know you had a lot going on this weekend and I really appreciate the effort. The thing that convinced me to come down at take a look was our conversation Saturday night.

Blaine: Lawrence, I just looked at the trailer.
Me: Ok, so what do you think?
Blaine: I can't find a single reason why you shouldn't buy it, except for the weight but I already have ideas on that.

If something is not right, you have no reservations saying it, you are one of the pickiest guy I know. That comment alone had me call Frank to tell him I would come down.

Well, the Aussies sure know how to build trailers, no one comes even close to this. This surely beats the alternative which would have been to build a trailer from scratch, as there is nothing that really fits my needs when going out with the family.

Quote:
The locking surge brake that runs actual calipers instead of drum brakes is a nice touch as well. Much simpler to work on although I didn't see a real easy way to bleed them should you ever need to.
The brakes are something, aren't they? And they work When that light turned red in front of us, there was no problem whatsoever stopping the TJ, and I wasn't even pressing that hard on the brake pedal. I have all the confidence that you can find a way to put bleeders on, we are talking brakes, something you know a little about

Quote:
I will say that I've seen lighter duty frames under 20' boat trailers. That frame is ridiculously overbuilt for a sub 2000 lb trailer.
I am looking forward to helping you shave a few pounds off of it.
Yes, the frame is insane, I don't know that you could destroy it even if you tried. Now, it will have to go on a SlimFast diet... Aluminum, Yeah Baby Yeah!
BTW, I poked around the Aussie site and on the 2007 models, the whole front rack which houses the kitchen, J-cans, and all, is now out of aluminum.
Thanks for helping me with this.