View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Banned

Using premium?

I have the Mopar unit from HESCO on my CJ7. My initial guess is that you are not using premium. At the time the kit was designed, it was required to use 92 octane and now we can only get 91; and that with Alcohol and other weird stuff in it. Could also ping on you if you were maybe in a higher gear and lugging it. I did change to the adjustable high pressure pump from HESCO. I changed it for the couple of times I have experienced vapor lock at high elevations. This has only happened to me twice in the last four or five years I have had the kit installed and went to the pump this year. This was after an experience going up to Bristlecone Pine NF. The other time it happened was on the long pull out of Ourey to Silverton, Colorado. It could also be timing or possibly even an O2 sensor issue. As far as the pressure issue, I believe the requirement is like 31-38 psi. I think the adjustable comes from HESCO at 42 psi. I would go down to your favorite auto parts store and buy a fuel pressure gauge that hooks up to the Schrader Valve on the fuel rail.