View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Thanx Frank,
While only enough time to scan what you wrote - I came away slightly confused. Were you able to lower the overall operating temp of your Jeep or did you simply build in some reserve?

BTW, happy birthday
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I was able to lower the Oil temperatures by an average of 14.3 degrees.

This brought the oil temps down to a range of 232 to 236 degrees. This new operating range falls within the "Ideal" oil temperature operating range, as defined by the SAE as 210 to 240 degrees F.

Lowering the oil temperature by 14.3 F came at a cost of "Adding 2.7 degrees F" to the coolant temperatures.

At least this is how it played out on my engine and the limited testing I did for this.

I don't know in your climate out there, were things get a lot hotter to begin with, what effect this would have. I would think it would be similar, but I just don't know.

You might want to see if you can pick a unit up at the salvage yard. You can get one for a few bucks and give it a try. It really is a no brainer to install.

I had an extra unit and sent it to Blaine to see how it would work for him in the So.Cal environment.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to post some additional pictures of the "other" flavors of these coolers.

There are some that tap into the lower radiator hose. I would imagine being this coolant is much cooler in temp then the heater hose, the effects would be far more dramatic on the oil temperature decreases.

Frank