View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
Frank, this is very similar to what Caterpillar uses on their small diesel V8 model 3208 motors.
While you are at the junkyard, look for a power steering cooler off those old Fords. This unit is a bolt on (in the line) unit with lots of fins for cooling. Goes up from the pump about 6" and does a 180 degree turn back down. Mostly truck and van applications.
Hi Don,

Thanks for the birthday wishes, they are appreciated.

I think in the spring / summer I will do a lot of PS system temp tests if I can get around to it.

I think I have seen the cooler you are talking about. I'm going to pick one up and test it on the Jeep.

It's amazing what you can find in a good salvage yard with your eyes open and permision to wall around anywhere you want to go!

I can't say I have any issue with the PS temps given my setup isn't pushing very large tires most of the time. While I do have a MM hydro winch it doesn't seem to effect the PS fluid temps in any negative way that I can measure.

Last summer I ran around for the better part of 6 weeks with a temp sensor measuring the PS fluid and mine average only 172.2 F. It never went about 175 F.

But I also realize other folks put a lot more stress on their steering system, that would most likely create a lot more heat.

While I have the ability via Kevin's equipment and kindness, and if I get the time, I will do the PS fluid testing when it warms up. (That didn't sound right but I figure you will figure it out!)

Have a great day Don and please say hi to Rita for me.

How's the new TJ going for you?

Frank