View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 08:37 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Folks, thank you all for your kind words and your comments.

As I have this posted on a couple of Jeep Forums I thought I would post these ideas that may help address a few questions folks have on this system.

I do not plan to carry the magnet with me, but you can. I will leave mine in the Jeep. May even glue it to the bottom of a little Matchbox Jeep and Velcro that to the dash. When I want to start it I will swipe it.

I also have three extra magnets in my Jeep. One under the bottom of the hood, one stuck to the rear floor and another inside the bottom of my air filter box. (Upstream of the filter)

If I find myself UNLUCKY 13, with no magnet at all, I will turn the ignition key on and then reach under the dash with a "coin" and touch pins 1 and 3 (Unlucky 13, easy to remember!) This will activate the ADE System

If you really want a means to take the ADE System out of the loop I am sure you can think of many.

Simplest would be to put a waterproof switch under the hood. Hidden. That runs between pin 1 and pin 3.

If you want to get more creative, drill a small hole in your radio face plate and install the Female end of a stereo phone jack. Wire the two open contact (NOT THE GROUND) to pin 1 and pin 3 on the relay socket. Then wire the two contacts (NOT THE GROUND) of the Male stereo phone jack together.

When you want to disable the ADE System simply plug the stereo phone jack into the plug that looks, for all intents and purposes, like a stereo head phone jack for the radio.

You could also wire more then one Reed switch. Again to pin 1 and pin 3. Maybe put the second reed switch inside the air filter box.

Put a piece of Velcro above the reed switch on the outside of the air box and another piece on the magnet. If you need to leave your Jeep for service or to be parked or if you want to disable the ADE System when you go off road simply stick the magnet on the Velcro. All systems will be enabled and it wont hurt the reed switch any.

Heck you could put a toggle switch inside the air filter box if you wanted and turn this switch on before gong off road.

There are endless ways of doing this.

The key to this whole system is everything is out of sight and unknown. The more you can keep it that way the better.

Someone thought it would be good to carry an extra relay just in case. This is a good point, but I do not plan to. The relay from radio Shack is rated at 100,000 (Min) operations before failure. That is twice the rated minimum failure rate of a standard automotive relay. But if you wanted to be safe there is no harm in this.

For those of you with older Jeeps that do not have PLASTIC, look around for other non-metallic places to mount the reed switch. How about inside the shifter boot? Maybe inside a gauge face? or even in the padding of the driver's seat.

I really dislike the often over used phrase "Think Outside the Box", but I will use it anyway, Think Outside the Box!

If you have an all metal interior (Boy do I wish I had that) you could drill a hole somewhere and simply drop the Radio Shack Reed Switch in. There is a shoulder on the top that would hold it in place. Paint it black and it will look like a big black rivet. It will work in that position too.

You could always not use the reed switch and wire up a female phone jack as I described above. It would look like it was there for stereo headphone but you would use it to momentarily close the ADE circuit with a jumpered Male Stereo Phone plug.

The reed switch or any means you put in place to momentarily jump pins 1 and 3 only come into play to power up the ADE System. If you leave pins 1 and 3 jumpered the system will be enabled with just the ignition key.

If you jump pins 1 and 3 for a moment the circuit is only enabled for this one START function.

I just thought of another really simple way to by-pass the ADE System if you ever needed to.

Buy a second Relay socket and put a jumper between pins 1 and 3.

When you want to disable the system Unplug the relay and plug the second relay socket into the ADE Relay socket. This would do the trick.

The four most important attributes are

Hide Everything
Keep the disable system as an unknown (Stealthy)
Make it complex (lots of circuits)
Keep it convenient for you to use.(Simple)

Throw in some more ideas folks! Make this thing BETTER!!!

I am working on a more complex system to make but one that does not need a magnet.

It will work like the traffic signal sensors that are buried in the road. When you pull up wires in the road sense a change in an inductive circuit, telling the light system you are waiting for the light to change.

Well, do you wear a ring? If so, the next system will be a simple hidden wire loop (Under the plastic). Run your hand with the ring over this area and the ADE System will activate! (Yes like a Dick Tracy Magic Decoder Ring!)

The "Key" being you have to know to do this in order to get the Jeep running!

After that one I want to try Voice recognition too!

Can you tell I'm having fun with this?

Have a great day folks, I am!

Frank