View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 06:30 PM
The king of shotgun debate

In-Cab Control Center

The Deluxe In-Cab Control Center has six switches and an LED display housed in a stainless steel case.

From left to right these switches perform the following functions:

Air up/down Left Front air spring
Air up/down Right Front air spring
Air up/down All Four air springs simultaneously
LED Display
Air compressor on/off control
Air up/down Left Rear air spring
Air up/down Right Rear air spring

As I understand it there is another kit called the ?four corner kit? that has four switches, one to control each air spring, but no all up/down switch or compressor on/off switch.

The LED display lets you know the PSI of air is in each air spring, and if you install an optional pressure sending unit will also tell you the PSI in your OBA tank.

Please note air pressure must be regulated down to a maximum pressure of 100 PSI. I?ll tell you how I elected to do this later.

Installation

Installing the Control Center is easy. What?s hard is finding the right place in your Jeep to put it.

I wanted to install the Control Center down below the ashtray and auxiliary switches. It fits nicely there, however my Atlas II shifters were hitting the Control Center housing.

For the time being I have my Control Center mounted on top of the center section of the dash. While this is a handy location it has its draw back too.

Having a ?shinny? stainless steel housing sitting up there is an invitation to thieves, to say nothing of sunlight reflection off the stainless steel. Something is going to have to give here. Either I will heat and bend the T/Case shifter arms so I can fit the Control Center down low, or I will paint the housing flat black so it is not so attractive or reflective of sun light.

To mount the unit you simply take the cover off to gain access to three mounting holes on the bottom. I drilled three matching holes in the top of the dash panel and attached the unit with three nuts and bolts, then reassembled the cover.

Here is a picture of the Control Center with the cover off after I bolted it to the top of the dash center section.

The Control Center has a fourteen-wire multi-plug on the back. No need to worry about any of this wiring as a pre-assembled 16-foot umbilical cord plugs in here and connects the Control Center to the Air Manifold/ Valve-ing.

I routed the umbilical cord down under the defroster vent and then through the firewall at the oval shaped rubber grommet in the firewall.

In order to fit the cord behind the defroster vent I had to trim a slot for the cord using a dermal tool..

Primary Wiring

There are three individual wires on the back of the Control Center that must be wired into your Jeep.

The Black wire needs to go to a good ground. I used the ground wire on the back of the cigarette lighter.

The Red wire goes to a +12VDC ignition switched power source. I also taped into the cigarette lighter for this power source. You don?t have to worry about the current draw of this circuit, as it is extremely low. This wire also contains an inline fuse.

The Yellow wire goes to a dashboard nighttime lighting circuit so the display on the Control Center will dim for nighttime driving when the lights are on.. A convenient source for this connection can be found on any of the dashboard switches. I used the Orange wire on my fog light switch just above the cigarette lighter being I was already in the area for the other wire taps.

A fourth wire (Green) needs to be connected for the Deluxe Control Center.

This wire is used to supply ignition switch 12VDC to the coil side of the relay used to turn your air compressor system on. (Please note this wire should not be used to provide power directly to the compressor. This is a low current circuit. Use it only to power the coil of a relay that in turn will power the compressor.)

Here is a picture through the windshield looking at the back of the unit all wired up, plugged in and bolted in place.

As you can see it is fairly noticeable in this location. I have to come up with a better solution here. It?s on the list for some of my thought process.

That?s it for today folks. I have a few other commitments this evening. I hope you find this useful.

Have a great evening,

Frank