View Single Post
Old 09-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Administrator

We are home now.

Highlights as I see them. Meeting with the Curley's was wonderful. I very much look forward to it again. As Don said, it was hot, the obstacles were very far apart, and shade was a premium.

Jack's u-joint is strong enough to twist not one, but two 4340 Moser stub axles in half. The joints themselves were hammered on mercilessly by two of the competitors and survived without even losing a bit of their machining tolerances. In other words, they were still as tight as when they were installed. Lance Clifford from the Pirate board was drooling over them, as he owns the rig that ruined two of the ones from HAD. I managed to convince Jack that it was in his better interests to stay away from that crowd. I had my instincts proven later on by an incident I was a witness to.

Did I say the Curleys were great company yet?

The Currie team came in third in the final event which was good enough to win them the overall championship. Hurray for our side!!! I am very happy with that result.

Interesting notes- Several competitors apparently have been paying attention. Many rigs have been cloned to resemble and function like the Fire Ant. Leaf springs are flying off of rigs at an alarming rate and being replaced with coils. Two of note are Jason Bunch and Rich Hudson. Jason was already on coils but he narrowed the rear of the tub and tubed it like the Fire Ant.

Many places in Farmington are "limit of adhesion" obstacles. The automatic allows you to keep your tires just at the edge of spinning and losing traction. This, with the ability to increase momentum as needed when the traction gets better, was a big advantage for several rigs.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Would you rather be animadversional or curmudgeonly? Can you be animadversional without being a curmudgeon?