View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Re: What are the advantages of J-arms?

Quote:
Originally posted by bart
Over a arm of thae same length mounted in the traditional manner ? I had intended to make lowers straight and slightly longer than my triangulated uppers on my new rear suspension. I would mount them higher on the axle than factory and as flat to the frame as possible. I know the J-arms give more clearance immediately in front of the rear tire and act as long arms. Anytthing else? Traction? Thanks for any help.

-Bart
You stated a paradox given a static wheelbase. Unless you intend on mounting the J-arm behind centerline on the front and in front of the centerline on the rear. You also can't make your lowers the same or near the same length as your upper in a normal triangulation.

What you can do is make them slightly longer than the effective length.

The purpose of a J-arm is to mount a longer arm in the same place that you removed a shorter arm from without drastically altering the wheelbase.

Since the J-arm is typically mounted at or very near centerline of the axle tube, the effective radius is now more parallel to the ground and any deviation from parallel at ride height is a compromise. Very similar to a shock's function, any mount angle that deviates from perpendicular to the range of motion in both directions is a compromise and decreases the shock's effectiveness.

I'm not sure how you are getting more clearance in front of the tire. Can you clarify that? Typically the arm goes under the axle and very near the tire and you lose some clearance.