View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Some folks just gotta tinker

One of them folks would be me.

Background-On Outer Limits, Jeff Weston managed to set his track bar free and I was given the opportunity to use his Ready Welder to make it behave again. I liked almost everything about it until I went to weld the inside of the bracket on the inner frame side and the spool area was drastically interferring with the steering linkage.

I then purchased a Ready Welder and without ever firing it up to see if it worked, set about modifying it to a more tight quarters friendly package.

I grabbed the welding whip off of my Miller 185, hacked it in half and set about adapting it to the drive mechanism of the RW.

I cut the RW up into pieces and mounted the various components into a Pelican case. I remounted the circuit board for the speed control on the drive mechanism into one end of the case. I then moved the dial SC into the handle of the Mig whip by unsoldering the potentiometer from the circuit board and using a PVC coupling and some creative drilling, now have it protected from accidental change while welding.

My thought was that a 5' whip like a regular Mig would work anywhere the RW would and be easier to use. We'll see.

Here are some down and dirty test welds to see if everything worked.