View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Banned

Blaine, with all due respect, let me reiterate what I continue to say almost every time you bring up the Super35 and my support. As ardently as I support the Super35, it's relational to how the person would use it.

I am convinced the Super35 won't work for me, which has nothing to do with how well it works for other people. I'm sorry you think I brow beat you with support of it, but it's like most other things I support, that have a purpose for some. Some things work for some people, some don't. The Super35 works for some. It doesn't mean that things that don't work for some, don't work for any. It also doesn't mean that the things that work for some, work for all. I think the Super35 is a good product, and has a very good place in the market for some people. I don't think it will work for me.

I'm considering a D44 or stronger, in relation to a flat skid. I don't want to build a Super44, or anything else, if it won't work toward my goal. I have very limited funds, and have to "build" this over time (I cannot purchase a pre-built custom axle for $2k+). I'm trying to figure out the best route considering how my money flows. A new TJ D44 housing will be "doable" as far as cost, then the r&p, shafts, etc. will have to be bought over time, until I can have it complete. Anything else I buy (9", D60) will have to be customized (re-tubed, perches, etc.) and will be more difficult for me to find as good a price on.

I've only known of two people that have run a HP D44 in the rear. Seemingly, one with bad results, the other with good results, as far as I've heard from either. Can you expound on what's wrong with the HP D44, is it only the ring and pinion (not that the r&p isn't enough to keep from using it)?

My plans are probably RC D30 front (I've had to sell the one I bought last year, but may buy another), and D44 rear; or RC D44 front and RC 9/D60 rear.

If you can help me in relation to the flat skid, will I need RC axles front and rear to get completely flat? I haven't paid much attention to anyone's rig running a flat skid (in person) and don't know how flat the Tera, Goferrit, Currie, etc. plates are. I don't have a reference as to how flat they are in comparison to a flat piece of steel against the frame rails. So, I can't tell whether going completely flat will mean different things have to be worked out than with one of the current aftermarket designs. I appreciate your, and anyone else's, help.