View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace!
I don't know anyone with standard rotation differentials that has done this, unless of course Blaine had a flat skid when I rode with him over Clawhammer (although I didn't look at his skid at the time), so if you know someone that has a flat skid (not just raised) I'd like to hear about it.
Would you like those answers from an experiential or philosophic viewpoint? You seem to place the same credibility on both.

It is possible to have a flat skid to the frame and standard cut (not rotation) low pinion housings front and rear. I think that this is a great way to go. Low budget, easy to do, you can make the skid yourself with a few simple tools, the material is relatively inexpensive compared to a purchased skid, and the outcome should be awesome. You probably saved enough by not getting the factory 44 to do the whole thing. Were I on a low incremental budget, this is definitely one of the things I would consider doing.

If you can pull off a raised skid, a flat is the same just slightly more difficult. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ax-15 the shortest of the trans options in the TJ. If so, that's another great reason to own one with a flat skid. We all know that the longer you get your rear driveline, the easier things are.

I say go for it.