Thread: What the Dell
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Wow, I hate to read that and it has probably soured me on my upcoming laptop buy. The last laptop I bought was a Dell for my wife but that was several years ago. Maybe it's time to just go get one of those Acer laptops I see in Fry's Electronics which I hear nothing (so far) but good about.
Are you talking about the netbooks for $300-ish? Tried a few different ones out, Acer and Asus EEEpc and returned them both. While they were both nice little machines for the money, the drawbacks were a bit much for me. The Asus keyboard will drive any touch typist crazy as it is just a bit too small. The Acer definitely had the better keyboard. The main drawback to both is that the screen was too small vertically. It is practically impossible to use a web based email without constantly scrolling up and down because the preview pane takes up most of the space.

I returned them both and have a little Thinkpad that is the cat's meow for all the reasons mentioned in the post above. I did buy my young kids a $400 dual core (not core2duo) Acer that works pretty well for kicking around (literally).