View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
Blaine - Thanks, please do elaborate. Since I am replacing, I might as well upgrade and I'm looking for a solution.

donjr5 - The pedal feels mushy and even with me standing on the brakes, I can't get it to lock up. If I pump, it gets better

The theory of my friend (Joe West - for those that know him) is that the MC has a bad rear seal and that leaked back in to the VB and the brake fluid is ruining the diaphram in the VB.
Sound right?

Chris
The general premise of MP is that we are not generating enough line pressure to our calipers and wheel cylinders. In order to boost line pressure, they decided to try a booster they use for their hot rod line. Not a success as it was too small.

Then they shipped me a 9" booster to try. Still not as good as stock. I have one of the first 10" boosters they prototyped. As a matter of fact, it is the first one.

The more I began to play with this stuff and figure some things out, the more I began to realize about the direction we were headed.

At the same time I was fiddling with this stuff the MP was shipping me for R&D, I also had a rig with all stock brakes and a huge booster with a corvette master to compare against.

What I determined was that high line pressures only drastically shortened the life of your components, mainly pads. I had enough line pressure to fold over the leading ears of the pads on the fronts and distort the backing plate and shoe pivots in the rear. I am talking total destruction of the rears. I then went to a custom set of rear shoes and had them reinforced at the pivots. New PF in the front and just lived with the short lifespan of stuff.

Several things became apparent. Increasing line pressure is not the total answer. The drums are too small and are not robust enough for bigger tires. The rotors are way too small and the swept area on the pads is insufficient.

What is needed for anything in the 35 and up tire size is a bigger set of components at the axles. I have done that on several and it is not an easy fix. Time consuming, expensive, and a total pain in the butt.

If you want line pressure, toss in hydroboost. Easily doubles your line pressure. Be prepared for failure of stock components.

In your case with the DEO stuff, I would start with stock parts. Get a new booster and master and plan to get a combination block from a ZJ. It's set up for disc and disc. I have run line pressures on Kat's with the stock booster and the ZJ master and she easily generates over 1300 psi. More than sufficient for 35" tires and good components.

I am assuming you have or will have rear discs.