View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 06:29 PM

how to extract a broken axle shaft stuck in the ARB?

I broke my passenger inner axle (long side) at or near the splines yesterday, and a few inches of the shaft was stuck in the carrier (ARB).

The break was pretty clean. I pulled the diff cover and found no metal pieces.

The only option we could think of (given the tools we had on hand) to get the broken piece of axle out of the ARB was to remove the driver side shaft and push the broken piece through, and then fish it out with an antenna or something the rest of the way.

Other than removing the driver side shaft and pushing the broken piece through, is there a trick or technique to get the broken end of the inner axle out?

Now that its home is there any other maintence I should consider?

I'm planning replacing both sides with new assemblies and planning to install new unit bearings. I'll keep my current ones for spares.

btw, the Ujoint survived the initial axle break, but snapped when I was being winched out backwards, or while backing into a suitable spot for repairs.

ps: I know the consensus is that stock shafts and unit bearings are not up to 35s, but at this point in time significant upgrades are not in the game plan. I have all the parts except for the unit bearings, and the only parts that are toast are the long inner and the Ujoint.