View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 05:55 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Air Activated Ox Shifter Design Idea - Your Suggestions Please

Air Activated Ox Shifter (AAOS)

Hi folks, for a while I have been toying with the idea of replacing the Ox Locker Shifter and Cable with an Air Operated System like my front ARB.

I am about ready to do something about this and wanted to collect your input before I send the design to the machine shop.

Here is a drawing of the high level design and a brief description of how it will operate.

Your comments, suggestions and ideas for improvement are actively being solicited and appreciated.

I have the Air Cylinder. It is made by Bimba and available as surplus for under $5. The Air Cylinder is made of stainless steel and is rated as weatherproof.

My digital camera is not home tonight so a picture of the air cylinder will have to wait till morning.

Length is about 4.5 inches, diameter is about ¾ inch, and has an operating pressure of 100-PSI Max. Piston extension is 1 inch. (The Ox Locker requires about 5/16-inch movement to lock and unlock.)

An Air hose will be connected to the air nipple to control the air cylinder via an Air Valve/Solenoid and in cab switch similar to that use on my front ARB.

The blue part called the Locking Cylinder will have to be fabricated out of aluminum.
One end of the Locking Cylinder will thread into the Ox Locker Diff Cover, and the other end will accept the threaded mount of the Air Cylinder.

Inside the Locker Cylinder there will be two springs.

The Locking Pressure Spring (Brown) will be used to absorb the movement of the air cylinder piston and then transfer that movement to the Locker Control Shaft when the OX Locker Cams line up to enable the Ox Locker to become engaged.

The Return Spring (Red) will disengage the Ox Locker Fork (Inside Diff) when air pressure is released from the air cylinder by pushing the Locker Control Shaft out.

The Locker Control Shaft will thread into the Shift Fork inside the Diff just like the current cable does.

As the rod is pushed left, the locker becomes locked.

When moved to the right, the locker disengages.

That’s the jest of it folks. I have tried to keep it as simple as possible.

The entire assembly will thread into the Ox Locker Diff cover and sit directly behind the passenger side axle tube.

While somewhat protected, I will have to come up with some more protection.

Give it some thought folks and let me know your ideas on how I might improve this design.

Frank