View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 08:55 AM
The king of shotgun debate

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
Quote:
Hi Frank,

I'm in the need for better front brake pads. I was going to buy the preformance friction ones, as many people have had nothing but good experiences with those. Now, I've seen the ceramic pads at Napa. I wasn't sure about thier preformance. Can you eloborate a little on them?

William "Unless you're William" Karstens
AKA
"I'm not Bill"[/quote]

Hi William,

I have a client that all I can really tell you is in the aerospace industry. They are currently doing some engineering and testing of disc brake pads made of some type of ceramic compound that they developed for another use. In this scenario they are basically exploring the possibilities and or potential to enter this market, but as of this date no decision has been made.

They asked me if I would like to try a set and return them with an evaluation after a period of time. I said yes so they built me a custom, one off set.

I wish I had put a micrometer on them prior to putting them in. When I took them out after 17K miles they looked like they did when I put them in.

As for stopping power I can't say they were any better then the Performance Friction pads, but I can say, no matter what I did with them I always had the same breaking, wet or dry, cold or over heated.

I never once experenced any noticable brake fade.

Wish I could share more with you on this, but that is all I can really say.

I do know that Napa has ceramic brake pads, as does Raybestos (Spelling?)

However I don't know anything about them. I may go buy a set just to see how they compare to what I just took out and shipped back.

I'd be happy to let you know what I think of them.

Frank