View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 09:12 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Folks,

I finished up a little bit ago testing the output pressure for a given input air pressure.

As suspected, it can be calculated mathematically based on air PSI and Square Inch Area of the Piston inside the cylinder.

However I did measure it.

I put each piston shaft in my drill press and put a bathroom scale on the drill press plate, applied air pressure and measured the transfer to the scale.

The cylinder I wanted to use will work, but would require at least 100 PSI (upper limit) to operate at 44 pounds of output pressure. (every pound of PSI in translates to .4415 lbs out at the piston shaft.)

This cylinder has a 3/4-inch diameter piston.

The larger cylinders have a 1.5 inch diameter piston.

Each of these resulted in a pressure multiplication of about 1.75 lbs of pressure out for every pound of PSI air I applied.

(for example 20 PSI in results in 35 pounds of pressure out.)

As I said, what I actually tested came in pretty close to what can be calculated. There does not appear to be much loose to friction or leakage.

I believe I will go with one of the one-way, spring-loaded units, for the spring return and the benefits of operating at a lower pressure.

If I need 40 pounds to operate the Ox reliably, I will need only 23 PSI of air to operate it.

I've made several attempts at find a 12vdc electric solenoid to employ as the heart of the Ox Shifter. I could not find any that would have the power to operate it (pulling strength) without drawing an incredible amount of amps.

If anyone has any ideas on this or know of an electric solenoid that might work I would appreciate you pointing me in that direction.

Frank