Thread: What the Dell
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
Are you talking about the netbooks for $300-ish? Tried a few different ones out, Acer and Asus EEEpc and returned them both. While they were both nice little machines for the money, the drawbacks were a bit much for me. The Asus keyboard will drive any touch typist crazy as it is just a bit too small. The Acer definitely had the better keyboard. The main drawback to both is that the screen was too small vertically. It is practically impossible to use a web based email without constantly scrolling up and down because the preview pane takes up most of the space.
Yeah I saw those small models Jeff but their screens and keyboards were too small for me too. The Acer I'm talking about is a full-size laptop... 3GB RAM, 160 GB disk, R/W DVD, etc. It'll easily outperform my tired 4 year old Dell tower computer with its old processor and only 512K of ram.

One question from one who doesn't really like laptops due to their keyboards... when I plug in a USB mouse, does it disable the pad that is used when there is no mouse? If not, is that little pad easily disabled? My thumbs often bump that little pad while I type which sends the cursor all over the screen... and because I often type without watching the screen, I often don't notice it until it's too late and all screwed up.