View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ary'01XJ
Mike, question for ya...
Is there a reason you couldn't have used the outer shafts from a WJ and mated them to the inners from an XJ and then just used the WJ hubs?? I'm getting everything from the outers out from a WJ axle including brakes, hubs, etc. As well as the shafts. I was thinking I could just make up bastard shafts and bolting it all together. Am I missing something?? Thanks

Ary

P.S. I'm going to be doing this soon, so any help would be good.
All WJ's use rubber booted CV joint front axle shafts so you can't mate this to a U jointed shaft. There is no reason to use the WJ hubs unless you want to go to a 5 on 5" bolt pattern. The reason I say that is there are stock hubs with the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern that have the same rotor mounting surface to hub mounting surface as the WJ ones so you don't have to redrill the hubs. But the problem then becomes that you need to space the hub out for the axle U joint to center between the ball joints like stock. This is why I used the 01 TJ (really 00-02 TJ and 00-01 XJ hubs) hubs because they have a different measurement (shorter) from the rotor mounting surface to hub mounting surface that allows the use of a spacer.