Thread: Lessons learned
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 10:02 AM

I'd just like to say it was great to see everyone again. It's been awhile since I've got to hang out with the usual suspects and it was nice. It was also very nice to finally meet both Brad and Frank.

Things I was reminded of this weekend were:

It sucks to be the odd man out and dependent on the help of strangers (this happened to me once awhile back) and I'm reminded that I don't personally want to be in that position if I can help it.

The gang of usual suspects is a pretty cool group of people to hang out with wheeling, and the sense of teamwork is pretty amazing, IMO.

I was reminded, after watching Jeff's flop, that I'm glad I decommisioned the ZJ. A flop, in my ZJ would pretty much mean it was no longer a DD, which I couldn't afford right now, where as Jeff's TJ came out fairly unscathed. (Yes, he may have been lucky, but there is no lucky in a ZJ, you just move on to screwed when you roll).

Things I learned:

Lunch box lockers aren't worth crap balanced against trail repairs. After seeing the effort it takes to get the c-clips out for a repair, it's not worth it, and I'd never own one. I'd go open over having a lunchbox locker, because at least then, I'd have a harder time getting myself into a position where I could break and truely be stranded due to the difficulty of a trail repair.

If you pull the hitch pin holding your tomken hitch tow hook to loan to someone, make sure you throw the hook in the back of your jeep. If you don't, you'll forget you loaned the pin, and drive all the way home with the hook sitting loose in the reciever. As a result, I learned that the hook can make it all the way from JV to the rib place, back to JV and then to L.A., with out falling out, but considering it was dangling off the lip as I pulled in the driveway, it probably isn't the safest thing to do.

Jeff has a spot on gay waiter impression (not that there's anything wrong with that).