View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 01:07 PM

Re: Living through others..

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Since leaving Iceland, I've been wanting to have adventures, once again.

www.wanderlust.net

http://www.globetrotters.ch/index3e.asp

www.strikingviking.net
Those sites don't seem so far fetched as they would have a few months ago.

I met one guy who is a burned out aerospace engineer who quit his job and got rid of everything and has been living out of a backpack for the last 3 years. He has visited 56 countries and has not seen a winter since 1999. I spent a long time asking him questions as to the logistics of such a lifestyle. He assured me that it is no more complicated or expensive than what I am doing right now, it's just getting over that initial fear of the unknown.

So far, I have not ventured more than 2 tanks of gas from the people and places that I have called home for my entire life. I'm going to have to make a decision soon because winter is coming and the Cherokee is just about ready for new tires, which will cost about the same as 2 months travel at my present rate.

I'll be looking at the Striking Viking site a little closer though, as I have a BMW R1100RS sitting in my Dad's garage, waiting to go.

Quote:

You've renewed my interest in backpacking. I"ll have to break out the northface pack and get back into shape.
Maybe we could start a "get out and backpack" forum?

Seriously, everybody here loves the outdoors, otherwise we'd be over at clublexus.com whining about our squeeks and rattles and how the seat leather burns our bottoms on really hot days.