View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 09:08 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Stu,

My complements not only on the letter which you wrote, but more importantly on what you are trying to do in getting others to write as well.

I am no expert on Forest Management, but I don't think it takes an expert to see that there is a problems here that needs to be fixed badly.

Stu's approach it the right one. Numbers people!

It doesn't matter if the numbers are represented in an emotional manor or in a straight forward factual matter. Numbers matter, yet we all so infrequently focus on any one issue to apply the numbers.

An Example.

Have you ever notice how gas prices in the summer always go up on Thursday afternoon and back down late Sunday night?

We all see this, we all know it, and we all know it is to increase profits when people need the gas more for weekend travel.

Can we not buy gas for the weekend? Hardly. Yet we could, if we focused, Not Buy Gas from one particular Brand! (Pick one, any one! But all of us need to do it!)

What do you think would happen if this weekend no one bought gas from Exxon Gas Stations all across America?

I think Exxon would get the message becuase the numbers would be screaming it to them.

The focus of consumer groups would demand prices that don't rip off, or no business for Exxon.

Life is simple, message is simple too!

The problem is in motivating everyone to the same action.

Well, same is true here. The SC is successful becuase they focus on "their" issues and don't care what effects "their" issues have on anyone else.

They know what their mission is and they stay on mission. You have to admire their exicution, if not all they do.

Think about that.

Obviously for those effected in a negative way this isn't goodness, yet the FOCUS the SC applies to staying on their message and issues certainly has been good for the SC.

It's called "Being Effective" and they are!

They are organized, or at least railed around a common mission. If you want to change their mission then you must apply a focus to your own mission and your own actions, individually and collectively.

Stu is right, everyone should consider writing.

Everyone should express what they think and feel, regardless of what that is.

We certainly aren't all going to agree on everything here, but I bet we all have an opinion that is related to one degree or another.

Apply the numbers folks and we can make a difference.

And if the difference we make isn't good enough?.....

Well then, we get what we deserve,. We get what someone else says we should get.....

And that my friends doesn't always taste so good.

Well done Stu.

Frank