View Single Post
Old 02-22-2002, 07:59 AM

I know all about testing stuff until it breaks but that wasn't what I was refering to. Anybody can make anything break - how you engineer your way out of it is what counts and frankly, I don't think a low pinion D44 is a very elegant engineering solution.

Basically, I think the Rubicon while having a nice drivetrain, is a big step backwards and is for bragging rights in the magazines only. Lets face it, the stock suspension will not stand up to the durability of the drivetrain so the first thing you will need to do is add a lift. I went through 3 sets of stock arms running only moderate trails before I went to more durable aftermarket arms.

And more to the point, you also need to add a lift in order to reduce the penalty of the really shi!!y ground clearance that the Jeep engineers so convienently provided to Rubicon owners. Not only is the D44 bigger than the 30 (thus reducing clearance) it also puts the pinion and your driveshaft that much closer into the rocks - gee thanx Jeep.

As for ring gears on the D30 - look at the score here on this board - 2 D30 ring gears and 2 D44 ring gears. I would call that a wash considering how much difficult wheeling is done by the group inhabiting this board.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's