Thread: Dusy trail
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 06:32 AM

Whoa, that's way too fast for me, I like to stop and smell the roses, enjoy the views. Especially after the road trip just to get there.

Our schedule ended up getting screwed up, and we made it a 4 day trip, originally scheduled for 5 days. Our group does a 5 day trip to either the Dusy or the Rubicon annually. We go from M-F, with Tues, and Thursday always being off days. At the Rubicon we spend an off day at Spider and Rubicon Springs. On the Dusy, Thompson, and Ershim Lakes are the site of our siesta's.

Dusy carnage as I remember it...
YJ vacuum disco failed
YJ fuel pump failed (wired/plumbed in an external pump)
CJ front shackle hangar torn off (battery welded back together)
YJ D30 297X ujoint coming apart, cir-clip came off (change u-joint)

The fuel pump was a major concern when it failed. Stock YJ/TJ is in the tank. Fortunately one of the CJ guys had a spare external, high pressure fuel pump. We spliced it into the fuel line, and stock wiring harness. I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to pull fuel through the stock pump. It did, and still does today to the best of my knowledge. I now carry an external fuel pump in my spares box.

I can't stress enough how brutal this trail is. It's not technical at all, just beats you to death.

91yj, SOA