Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 11-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Reggae

I had to cut the Thanksgiving Day at the Hammers short. Running the Outer Limits I broke the driver side rear axle. At night on the lakebed we replaced the axle, and then it became apparent that the locker was broken too, and the jeep is not drivable.

Thank you to Paradiddle, my brother and I are home. Thank you for helping with the jeep and for the ride, Jeff! I also want to thank Stu, and all the guys who worked on my jeep broken axle at night. Thank you to Garry for the expertise, and the right tools. Thank you to mrblaine for the telephone consultations, and the spare axle. Thank you to Robert for holding my jeep.
Old 11-28-2002, 04:56 PM

Too bad Sergey. Schit happens! Were you getting it on when it broke?
How's the rest of the guys doing? Nice weather I hope?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Banned

PRO ROCK 60?

Sorry to hear, Sergy. There are alternatives. At least you were with a nice group.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Reggae

No problemo. We'll fix my jeep and it is going to be better than new again.

When the axle broke my jeep was not moving. It was second or third attempt on a very technical obstacle, and I was on the right line. The tires were not obviously wedged, but the iron grip of the rocks turned out to be stronger than my jeep driveline this time.

To add insult to the injury, I crushed the passenger side rear corner, and chipped a huge chunk from yet another wheel. Plus I heard about 17 thousand comments about how I was supposed to get beadlocks; I am ready to start throwing marshmallows into the next person who suggests I get them.

It was actually a very fun run. I finally got to wheel with Stu: he's got a nice jeep, and he drives it very well. Paradiddle put his bus through that very same trail, with virtually no damage; he drives very fine.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:31 AM

TO,

you know with bead locks it would prevent the rims from cracking like that.

and Jeff does drive OK atleast he does what the spotter tells him to. He just needs to learn how to stop saying are you sure????

PS
please send the marsh mellows to

Jeff
1235 Can I make it Dr
Areyousure, CA 90802
Old 11-29-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about the probelms Sergey. We had a 9" axle break on Jack last week. It's strange, in all the years I've been going out there these are the 1st two 'good' rear axles I have heard of breaking.
So after all the talk about Jeff wanting to go run Sledge to get a taste for the Hammers, you guys take him on the most difficuult run out there. Good deal.
Paul
Old 11-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Reggae

Scott, do you make an effort to be obnoxious, or is it a gift?

Paul, I was afraid that something was going to break before it happened. Keeping on pushing the skinny pedal when no tires are moving - is bad, and I have one broken axle to prove it.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:54 PM

oh come on you have Jeeped with me enough to know it is just part of who I am.

I am glad to hear you made it back I am am still ****ed that I was unable to make it.

it looks like I may have to move really soon so I was packing plus my dog messed up his leg getting out of the Jeep, and my daughters birthday made it so I could not travel alone.

I hope you had fun before it broke. what section where you on??

Scott
Old 11-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Paul,

Just for the record, Jeff did run Sledge on the first day. Outer limits was day #2 for him.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:37 PM

how did you uys get him through outer limits. I want to hear his report on that one.

Scott
Old 12-01-2002, 04:37 PM
ghall

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
how did you guys get him through outer limits?

Scott
Not complicated at all, he just drove thru it. It turns out he is also a damb fine spotter. We cleaned a couple of pretty neat options. He gets real bold when on the end of a strap attached to someone else?s Jeep. Thanks again Jeff
Old 12-01-2002, 09:16 PM

I had so much fun. Johnson Valley is a great place to wheel - it is very technical and very interesting (and challenging). Sledge was great, but I took my mind off the trail for one second and received my first kiss from JV ? a nice dent on the passenger side doors. I should have put some skids there (just above the SuperNerfs) and now I?ll have to. Outer Limits was a blast ? non stop technical driving. I can?t wait to do that trail again when I have more experience.

It was great to meet and wheel with Stu ? a super nice guy just like the rest of JBBS that I?ve met. Sergey had a rough day, but took it with great aplomb - and Sergey - it was no problem to help.

I got to help change my first axle (on Sergey's Jeep - before we knew the Detroit was toasted) - Garry is very fun to wheel with and he is a great driver ? I appreciate the compliment Garry, but I think your driving skill made my spotting look better. It was fun to hang from the strap a couple times and pretend I was a big shot ARCA spotter

Great to see you again Robert, sorry I couldn?t stay and run Sledge again. And nice to meet your Jack ? I also look forward to installing some of your u-joints at some point soon.

My Jeep worked great - I'm grateful for the advice I got from Paul and Mark on what to do and how to build it. As always Blaine was and continues to be a great source of information and advice as well ? I?m truly sad he and Kat couldn?t make it out ? we?ll have to plan a weekend trip very soon.. Garry thanks for the excellent spotting and helping me through those tough trails. Stu ? thanks for the rock stacking and encouragement ? can?t wait to see and wheel with you again.

Can't wait to get out there again.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:10 AM

2 words:

Expensive Weekend

Sergey, I dropped off your Jeep this morning to John and he has you in his computer so you should be all set.

As always, I had a great time wheeling with everybody. I don't know where I picked up friends like all of you but you guys rock! Stu, it was nice to see you again and as always, nice write-up.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Reggae

Cool

Robert, thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

It looks like the Detroit broke in a very bad way. The passenger side axle shaft survived.

It?s ARB time for my jeep.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject

Front also??? Good for you Sergey.

I still have your FRS - do you want me to mail it to you?

Jeff
Old 12-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Reggae

Just the rear for now.

No hurry on the FRS, you can return it when you see me next time.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Robert, thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

It looks like the Detroit broke in a very bad way. The passenger side axle shaft survived.

Ouch Sergey. That sux money wise but you will like the ARB. Tell me, did driving around with it busted up inflict the final blow to it or does John think you took it out completely when you broke the axle shaft? I have to say that listening to it snap crackle and pop while I was putting it on and off the trailer was a little disconcerting.

As for the help - you are most welcome. I was glad I could pitch in.