Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Your help on Pricing a Jeep For Sale, Please?

Hi Folks, I need your help to try and ?price? a Jeep for sale.

This Jeep belongs to a friend of mine who is expecting a new baby. He is wanting to sell it to pay some bills to better position himself for the new arrival.

Would you give me your thoughts as to what he should be asking for it?

I have just been out of the loop for too long and don?t think I could accurately help him price his Jeep.

This Jeep has never been rock crawled, but has seen some light trail riding.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

1999 Jeep TJ 4.0L Fire Engine Red, Soft-Top, 54,000 miles.

Condition: Excellent, (as close to New as I have ever seen a vehicle).

Equipment

Tera Flex Tera-Low Transfer case

5-Speed

Warn 8274 Winch (Used once)

Hi-Lift jack

Bulletproof Front Bumper/Winch Mount

3 sets of KC lights

Durango Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier

37/17 IROK Radial Tires (5 ? Including Spare) (75% thread left)

17" Walker Evans Bead Lock Wheels (5 ? Including Spare)

Front and Rear Power Stop Cross Drilled Brake Rotors

Ford 8.8 Rear

ARB Lockers (2- Front and Rear)

ARB Air Compressor

Tera flex 4" lift

Kilby Onboard Air System

Mean Green Dual Battery System

2 Optima Yellow Top Batteries

Gibson Cat Back system

Kilby Gas Tank Skid Plate

Sun Oil Pan Skip Plate

Sun 3.5 Gallon Air Tank

M.O.R.E. Full Roll Cage With Padding

Alpine 3 Disc AM/FM Radio

Two (2) JBL audio 8" sub woofers

Alpine 100-watt amp

4.56 gears

Durango rocker panels

Painless Wiring 7-Fuse Aux. Fuse block

K&N air filter

Throttle Body Spacers

Currie Heavy Duty Steering

Viper Security Alarm / Engine Disabler

Your thoughts on what this Jeep should be priced for would be appriciated.

Frank
Old 05-23-2006, 05:16 AM

I just realized I have two photo?s of this Jeep.

Here they are:

Frank
Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 AM

Hi Frank, hope your doing well. Sorry to see he's selling this, but that's as good a reason as you'll find. I know who's it is, and it's definately a nice TJ.

To try and be constructive, I believe he'll have much better results targeting the larger SE area, including Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. on up to D.C. even to find the target buyer for this kind of setup. There are a few people in our immediate area who could/would swing for this with a reasonable offer, but very few based on what I've seen over the last couple years. People have been getting abused, not just used, on aftermarket value, and this ride is loaded. I hate that he'll take a big hit, but it's likely.

Does he have the time/interest in parting it out and returning to stock? IMHO he'll come out several $K better off that way. Rusty has been building/selling some rigs lately, he'd be a good resource. My first reaction is 16k to 17k would be good if he can get it. Hopefully more outside of the area.

I believe he also has a hardtop and full steel doors... or did anyway. Is that included? Did he get the 44 in the front??
Old 05-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Hi Frank,

I may be a bit less optimistic in my pricing than Scott. While is is a very nice looking, well equipped Jeep, it is nearly 8 model years old. The problem as I see it with an older vehicle like this is that any potential buyers will likely be cash buyers. There is little chance that a bank is going to finance a Jeep that sells for probably double what it books for.

So, based on Ebay completed sales seeming to have average in the $8000-$10,000 range, I think he's looking at around $12,000. With gas prices the way they are and with what seems like a glut of these vehicles available on Ebay, it could be a more difficult sale.

Good luck to him.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 AM

Hate to say it, but I dug around for fun didn't find much to support my first impression. I do believe he could fetch more by removing some of the mods... the 8274 is a hugely popular winch, and the Evans beadlocks, well, heck I'd like to have those, but overall I'd have to lower my estimation several thousand. Not as far as Jeff's estimate, but, well, "ouch" is the term that comes to mind.

I'd love to think Jeff was wrong if only to stay happy with what I've spent on mine, but in our area the economics dont support getting much, and I still believe he should not sell it locally or he'll really be unhappy.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Reggae

I'd say, put it on Ebay, and sell it now for whatever it goes, because once the new Wranglers are in the showrooms the prices on old ones are going to drop down even more.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 AM

Hey, it looks like someone cut through the hood and installed some sort of cool ventilation system.

I too looked at TJ resale prices. If you think they're bad for a 4.0L from 1999, you can only imagine what I found when looking at resale for a 2.5L from the same year.

I pretty much abandoned the idea and any thought that it was a smart financial move for me.

Best of luck, though.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys I appriciate your input. I will pass it on.

Hey Scott, I'm doing ok. Maybe in the next week or two we can get togeher for lunch of at least a cup of coffee out somewhere.

Take care my friend,

Frank
Old 05-23-2006, 01:25 PM

Frank, that'd be great. I'm pretty flexible on scheduling, so whenever your out and about, I'd love to catch up. Will PM you my cell again so you have it.

Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
That is a nice looking jeep! If he does part it out in any way, I'm sure people will jump at those beadlocks!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 PM

like said: put it on Ebay and put a reasonable reserve in (I know that's what you're asking ) and have people bid on it. I betcha there's gonna people starting a bidding war on it.
If I wouldn't have a somewhat built trail Jeep already and would be looking for one, this would be a nice one to consider since it's set up way nicer than a stock Rubi