Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Bite the hand that feeds

Seems the INS has been a bit more active since May1st

From yesterdays local news:

Dozens of illegal immigrants who worked for a drywall company are now in custody.

The workers were identified when agents reviewed the hiring records of Standard Drywall, which has contracts with Camp Pendleton.

None of the immigrants worked on the base.

They allegedly used fake identification cards to get their jobs.
?Employers are supposed to ask for proper immigration documents, but without proper training it becomes difficult to tell whether the card is legitimate or not,? said Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Michael Unzueta.

Twenty-eight workers -- most of them Mexican -- will be deported.

One of the workers is being charged for unlawful possession of a firearm.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:24 PM

I guess I don't understand the point given the title and the first line of your post.

Who is biting who's hand?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Maybe he was just listening to some Nine Inch Nails when he decided to post?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
I guess I don't understand the point given the title and the first line of your post.

Who is biting who's hand?
Don't read too much into it, just a feeble attempt at political wit which I truly should know to avoid.

It does appear though that after the May 1st protests the INS has stepped up operations.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Effectively the illegals decided they were above the law, they had a "strike", ****ed in everyone's cereal publically, and now the government has decided to enforce the actual laws.

Too bad, so sad. Our temp agency was audited on that Wednesday, 2 days after the strike, by INS and everyone with any number that came up as "bad" in the computer was fired. I don't think they deported anyone, but they lost their job with the agency.

We had a "don't ask, don't tell" thing that seemed to be working for the businesses and the state and that is clearly gone.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Maybe he was just listening to some Nine Inch Nails when he decided to post?
That CD With Teeth is outstanding.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Don't read too much into it, just a feeble attempt at political wit which I truly should know to avoid.

It does appear though that after the May 1st protests the INS has stepped up operations.
Ok, now I get it. the hand they bit was attached to a couple of hundred million US citizens that were blissfully feeding them.

I was trying to find the hand or teeth somwhere in the drywall company or in Camp P ...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
and now the government has decided to enforce the actual laws.
Seems like more of enforcement of existing laws is a good thing...
Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Enforcing existing laws years ago would have aborted this situation but that's to easy. We are in the process of being sold out and eventually, we will all have a national identity card which I am begining to believe is something that the government wanted all along.

Hey Mr. Peabody, set the wayback machine and say hello to1984.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Enforcing existing laws years ago would have aborted this situation but that's to easy.
Eerily similar to the way baseball turned a blind eye to steroids, HGH, etc. for pretty much the last decade and now struggles for a way to tidy up their mess. It's too little too late. This fall's midterm elections ought to be interesting.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Enforcing existing laws years ago would have aborted this situation but that's to easy. We are in the process of being sold out and eventually, we will all have a national identity card which I am begining to believe is something that the government wanted all along.

Hey Mr. Peabody, set the wayback machine and say hello to1984.
Not that I disagree with the seeming curtailment of privacy in this country lately, but what exactly is the issue with a national ID card?

Haven't we already past the point of no return?

State IDs, social security, tracking via credit card purchases, credit info collection, address collection, mailing lists, email, cookies, spyware, photo radar, video surviellance in public, etc.

I'm not sure how a national ID card would really make much of a difference.

It only takes a matter of minutes for anyone, law enforcment or otherwise, to access the internet and figure out who you are.

Have you seen the type of info you can access within a matter of moments using a system like Nexus/Lexus?

I really don't think a national ID would be anything more than a drop in the bucket.

Unless I'm missing something?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Reggae

Well, there are already 10 documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility, 12 documents that establish identity, and 7 that establish employment eligibility (known as lists A, B and C). One more document is not going to change anything except making it a PITA for everyone, IMHO.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Well, there are already 10 documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility, 12 documents that establish identity, and 7 that establish employment eligibility (known as lists A, B and C). One more document is not going to change anything except making it a PITA for everyone, IMHO.
I agree.

What employers need is a reliable way to verify the documents provided. Then the current laws need to be enforced.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:42 PM

The problem is, a lot of employers choose to hire illegals because they can pay them less, they don't pay unemployment, workers compensation, etc. like they would for legitimate employees. Even with ways to verify the status of potential workers, those companies that are willing to risk the consequences of hiring illegals will continue to do so until they are severely fined or shut down. They know the odds of getting caught are in their favor.

If the govermnment is really serious about enforcing the existing laws they will provide the manpower needed to do so, and say screw the ACLU and their anti-profiling stance.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-26-2006, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe

What employers need is a reliable way to verify the documents provided.
I agree 100%.

As someone who employs roughly 65 employees at any given time, it does get tough to ensure the validity of the documents. A main problem I've always had (yet I understand some of the reasoning behind it) is not being able to ask for certain TYPES of ID when filling out an I-9. The law doesn't allow me to require a certain ID from an employee, as long as they can produce ONE from column A or ONE EACH from B and C...

Now, if there was a simple way for ALL employers to check Social Security Numbers, etc...many problems would either be eliminated...or those without proper documents would find more creative ways to beat the system.

I'd bet the latter.

Funny story...had a kid come apply....friend of one of the other employees. Nice Kid...filling out his papers I look at his social security card. It had TEN digits instead of NINE! Told him "Sorry" and sent him on his way.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by ABQ TJ
...if there was a simple way for ALL employers to check Social Security Numbers...
Well, there is this one:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm

Edit: sorry, that system can legally be used only after an employee was hired.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Well, there is this one:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm

Edit: sorry, that system can legally be used only after an employee was hired.
and it's not available to me at work...we don't have internet access.

Our home office DOES flag numbers that don't appear to be good, but again, you can't do anything until after the fact.

It's frustrating, for sure.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:22 AM

Speaking of ID, I just had to give a driver's license to buy children's cough syrup.

Yay for meth labs!