Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 AM

South African gringos, 2 wheels, in Angola

Very worthwhile read (if your an adventure junkie).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Thanks for posting this Matt, this is one hell of an adventure, kudos to these guys. I figured I'd read the first few pages only, and I couldn't stop until I got to the end. It is pretty riveting. In my younger days , I rode a Honda Africa Twin, and that was all that I could handle. That KTM is a beast, and I wouldn't wan to be on it through that.

Africa is an amazing continent, I had the chance to spent quite a bit of time in Ivory Coast and Senegal and it is just breathtaking. Two of my uncles raced the Paris-to-Dakar Rallye several times, and while in their mid to late 20's my parents joined 4 other couples for a motorcycle adventure through Mexico and Central America. I always dreamt of doing such a trek, unfortunately I am bit short on funds and time off
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 AM

An African Twin is nothing to sneeze at, thats a big bike

I cant imagine riding any of these big adventure bikes in such extreme off road conditions, the Dakar certainly highlights what these bikes are capable of though (riding the Dakar is a dream of mine, not a goal, just a dream).

I'm on the other end of the compromise. I ride an off road race bike (ktm525) for adventure riding. I have to travel VERY light, and highway travel is not very comfortable, but on tough off road it shines.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

It was one of the first ones, the XRV650, a lot more manageable. Not too long ago I tried a GS1200 and a Tiger, these bikes are huge. No way I would take them on a trip like these guys did, they have major cojones.

The KTM 525 is a really nice bike, you should bring it out sometime.

I new it was you, now that I look closer I can see the resemblance

Happy dreams
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

This is awesome. I?ve been enjoying the story for two days now; I haven?t done reading yet; but this adventure is definitely my kind of stuff.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM

Glad you guys enjoyed it

Now that your hooked, heres another exceptional read:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41699
I'm only at page 35 of 318

The first 10 pages or so start off pretty slow, but rapidly gets better.

This guy sells his home in California and rides the world. Ships his bike to Japan to get to Vladivostok Russia so he can ride the Trans-Siberian Highway to Mongolia so he can spend some quality "alone" time in the Gobi desert. Then back through Russia to Western Europe to wait for permission to ride Iran. Thats as far as I've read so far

This is the same guy that, a few years prior, was riding through South America and was captured by Columbian Comunist rebels and was held captive and tortured for weeks. He wrote a book about that ordeal, "Two Wheels Through Terror"
Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Lawrence,
That picture was my "before" shot.

Heres the "after" shot

This is day 3 of 150 miles per day off road in Baja. I was BEAT
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pascoe View Post
Glad you guys enjoyed it

Now that your hooked, heres another exceptional read:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41699
I'm only at page 35 of 318

The first 10 pages or so start off pretty slow, but rapidly gets better.

This guy sells his home in California and rides the world. Ships his bike to Japan to get to Vladivostok Russia so he can ride the Trans-Siberian Highway to Mongolia so he can spend some quality "alone" time in the Gobi desert. Then back through Russia to Western Europe to wait for permission to ride Iran. Thats as far as I've read so far

This is the same guy that, a few years prior, was riding through South America and was captured by Columbian Comunist rebels and was held captive and tortured for weeks. He wrote a book about that ordeal, "Two Wheels Through Terror"
He was in NM last week at the Santa Fe BMW Dealership.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
that website is hazardous to my pocketbook....

read a thread about a guy who went from the southeast of australia to the northwest to pick up an old dual sport, and rode it back. Not quite the adventuring as in angola or the strikingviking's stories, but still doable by a mere mortal! I've got to get that book after reading a preview online...
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Hazardous to your free time as well, I've been staying up LATE trying to catch up with StrikingVikings travels

There are many great ride reports on that site. The one that got me hooked a few years back was about a couple from SoCal (Corona?) that retired, shipped their bike to Ecuador, and spent nearly two years driving down the West coast to the Southern tip of Chile and then back up the East coast to Columbia. Increadible story: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

IMO it's not the expense (StrikingViking is on a $50/day budget) its the time and freedom from responsibilities that makes these kind of adventures only a dream for me. Wife, kids, house, job (actually I need one of those) are all great things, but drastically limit adventure travel. I'm sure thats why most of the people traveling the world on a motorcycle are in their 50's+. Something to look forward to
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pascoe View Post
IMO it's not the expense (StrikingViking is on a $50/day budget) its the time and freedom from responsibilities that makes these kind of adventures only a dream for me. Wife, kids, house, job (actually I need one of those) are all great things, but drastically limit adventure travel. I'm sure thats why most of the people traveling the world on a motorcycle are in their 50's+. Something to look forward to
I hear you Matt. With a corporate job and a mortgage to pay, not enough time and too many financial responsibilities, so it is also a dream for me. At that rate, I'll be well in my 60s before I can think of getting away

BTW, if anyone is thinking of doing a trip to Central/South America and need help or lodging, I have family in El Salvador and one of my best friend is from Colombia.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
I figure at more then 300 pages I'm in no rush to get all the way through it. I'll check out the trip you posted Matt. I spent too much time reading SV's thread at work today, I guess I do have a problem. I'm up to the little girl finding him in the Gobi Sorta wish I'd gotten that old Yamaha dual sport awhile back, gotta start somewhere
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM

That is really cool! Got to have some balls to do that!