Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Question tire choices limited in Europe ... experiences?

Hello all,

the tires that are currently on the CJ7 only have a couple hundred miles left on them (Bridgestone Dueler MT 32x11.50x15).
I wanted to go with MT/Rs, but they're not available in Europe (or maybe it's just Holland) in the size I'm after which is 33x12.50x15.
Now I'm looking at Toyo MTs, Cooper Discoverer MT, Hankook Dynapro MT or ... in that size.
The rockcrawling, if you can call it that, is not nearly as extreme as Johnson Valley and more of the occasional off roading will be dirt/sand/light rock.

Do any of you have any experiences with the above mentioned tires and advise on those. I'm not too worried about on road noise and all, because it's a 'recreational' vehicle and not used for daily commutes and highway driving or anything.

Any and all comments are appreciated!

greetz from sunny Holland,

Ron
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Yogurt Boi

Send a message via AIM to Larry Nickell
I ran the 35" Toyo MT's on my Jeep for a long time Ron. They were a very good tire, but quite heavy if that matters to you.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM

I am currently running 35" MT/R Kevlars on my TJ, but I have a set of 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's on my Dodge Ram 3500 that I use with a slide-in camper. The Toyo's are a really tough tire with excellent off-road traction (surprisingly even at full inflation), but as Larry said, they are extremely heavy which you may want to consider from an unsprung weight perspective. They also appear to be wearing out rather quickly, which I believe Blaine had the same experience with when he previously ran a set on one of his pickups.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM

thanks for the info guys.
I haven't fully decided on the brand yet, with Mickey Thompson or BF Goodrich being possible candidates as well (all MT or equivalent version)

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I am currently running 35" MT/R Kevlars on my TJ, but I have a set of 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's on my Dodge Ram 3500 that I use with a slide-in camper. The Toyo's are a really tough tire with excellent off-road traction (surprisingly even at full inflation), but as Larry said, they are extremely heavy which you may want to consider from an unsprung weight perspective. They also appear to be wearing out rather quickly, which I believe Blaine had the same experience with when he previously ran a set on one of his pickups.
Yep, I was not impressed with getting 20,000 miles out of a set of not cheap tires. That said, the Toyo M-55's on the Dodge which are supposed to be commercial and wear longer did no better and were 3/4 gone when the insurance replaced them at about 25,000.

I'm pretty much done with Toyo.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
thanks for the info guys.
I haven't fully decided on the brand yet, with Mickey Thompson or BF Goodrich being possible candidates as well (all MT or equivalent version)

Let me get the exact model of BFG we put on the Savvy Unlimited. Don't know how it will wear, but it's a very fine tire for everything else.