Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-01-2002, 07:55 PM
The king of shotgun debate

15 Minute Projects - OBA Finally Finished

I hope your shops don't look like mine at times. I have way too many 15 minute projects just sitting on the shelves waiting to be done.

Well with the colder weather coming on I figured today would be a good day to knock some of them out. Here's one.

OBA Finally Finished

As some of you know a while back I relocated my TJ Stock Air Box to make room for a York OBA system. This required adding a new air outlet-to-engine flange to the air box.

This also required that I block off the original air outlet hole. (I used a tin can from an air freshener to accomplish this. Hey it worked.)

If you have an interest in relocating the TJ Stock air box you can find the write-up on Stu's site at http://www.stu-offroad.com/otherwrit...x/airbox-1.htm

The plan all along was to make an air fitting for the original filtered air outlet that could then feed my OBA system. (Replacing the standalone filter I was using.)

One of the young men I know works in a machine shop and he made the required adaptor up for me.

Here's a look at it prior to installing it in the top (down stream of the engine air filter) of the stock air box.

And here is a picture of the finished effort (be it a 15 minute project two years in the making.)

The "flange" slides into the original filter air outlet hole and is sealed with clear RTV on the inside. It is a friction fit but also held in place with three cross screws.

Filter air for the York compressor now comes through the engine air filter, and the small amount of space that once housed the independent air filter has been reclaimed.

One interesting effect of pulling the air through the engine air filter/air box is a significant reduction in noise coming from the OBA system when the compressor is running. Not a real big benefit, but still remarkable at the least.

I would imagine anyone could do something similar with your own intake systems, even with a cone filter. I would just be sure to tap into the air tube downstream of the air filter but Upstream of the CCV hose to avoid any chance of introducing engine oil/fumes into your OBA compressor.

Frank
Old 11-01-2002, 08:46 PM

Good post Frank. I'll probably be plumbing mine in to my intake tube.

Chris