Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-02-2003, 09:31 AM

Hard starting TJ?

My Mom's 97 TJ/ 5 speed is having trouble starting...... cranks, cranks, cranks, then finally starts. runs fine after starting. Is the maybe a CPS? The cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air cleaner, etc are all new with no change.

Are there any other magic sensors going? There are no codes. My Mom is up in Big Bear during the week with no help, so I don't want this thing to leave her stranded. My 97 has more miles and never had this trouble, but mines an auto

HELP!!!! Thanks!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 06-02-2003, 10:30 AM

Hey good to see you here Macgyver, haven't seen you since that trip to that Jeep dealership in Bellflower!

Could it be the anti-drainback valve in the fuel pump that is letting fuel drain down out of the F.I. system? What happens if she turns the key on and lets the fuel pump work to refill the fuel lines, if they are empty?
Old 06-02-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Hey good to see you here Macgyver, haven't seen you since that trip to that Jeep dealership in Bellflower!

Could it be the anti-drainback valve in the fuel pump that is letting fuel drain down out of the F.I. system? What happens if she turns the key on and lets the fuel pump work to refill the fuel lines, if they are empty?
You don't remember going notchin' at MDA that one year? I remember the look on your face when we got you up one of those notches! Maybe Feb of 2000 MDA?

I'll check out the fuel system....
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 06-02-2003, 12:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
how is the prevenative maintenence plan on that rig? you might have stuff ganging up on you. it could just be time to change plugs wires cap.. the cheap stuff. all the stuff you mentioned.

plugs wear down and that gap can get pretty big if it gets put off long enough. how is her gas milage?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Re: Hard starting TJ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
My Mom's 97 TJ/ 5 speed is having trouble starting...... cranks, cranks, cranks, then finally starts. runs fine after starting. Is the maybe a CPS? The cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air cleaner, etc are all new with no change.
Sergey,
It sounds as though the common maintenance items have already been taken care of.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Good. I am all for timely maintenance.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
Re: Re: Hard starting TJ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson

It sounds as though the common maintenance items have already been taken care of.
it's tough to un-cross my eyes after my last graveyard shift
didn't read it right, sorry Macgyver.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hard starting TJ?

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
it's tough to un-cross my eyes after my last graveyard shift
didn't read it right, sorry Macgyver.
No biggie, I was just hoping someone would know what to do to this thing. It's all done as far a tune up stuff, it didn't make a darn bit of difference. It bugs me that we can't find the culprit without just replacing everthing, or taking it to the dealer, who would charge way to much and still not fix it!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 06-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I don't know if you've already replaced it or if it'll make a difference in your starting problems, but I've had the coil in three different Jeeps act up. IMO, it's good to have a trail spare anyway because they tend to go out and leave you stranded.

FWIW, I know that some of the '97's had fuel pump problems. My mother-in-law's first TJ gave fits because of the fuel pump which took the dealer quite awhile to diagnose.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
I don't know if you've already replaced it or if it'll make a difference in your starting problems, but I've had the coil in three different Jeeps act up. IMO, it's good to have a trail spare anyway because they tend to go out and leave you stranded.

FWIW, I know that some of the '97's had fuel pump problems. My mother-in-law's first TJ gave fits because of the fuel pump which took the dealer quite awhile to diagnose.

Good luck!
I've got a spare coil to try, I'll try that first. Then I guess dive into the fuel pump......

Thanks!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 06-02-2003, 06:16 PM

Do a pressure test at the fuel rail before you replace the fuel pump. Depress the Shraeder valve on the fuel rail and see if raw fuel squirts out before you try to start it, but only after it's been sitting for a while. If fuel squirts out (indicating pressure and that fuel is present) and it still doesn't start afterwards, then it's probably not the fuel pump or the anti-drainback valve inside the fuel pump assembly.

Oh yeah, MDA! I was having a senior moment heheh.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:17 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Do a pressure test at the fuel rail before you replace the fuel pump. Depress the Shraeder valve on the fuel rail and see if raw fuel squirts out before you try to start it, but only after it's been sitting for a while. If fuel squirts out (indicating pressure and that fuel is present) and it still doesn't start afterwards, then it's probably not the fuel pump or the anti-drainback valve inside the fuel pump assembly.

Oh yeah, MDA! I was having a senior moment heheh.
I'm having the same thought as Jerry on this, the anti-drainback check valve in the fuel pump may be allowing the fuel pressure to drain off after it sits for a while.

Jerry has a given a good way to test for this with the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Before replacing the fuel pump I would try a couple of tanks full of good gas with Chevron Techtron (spelling) gas treatment. I have seen this stuff free up the check valve on more then a few vehicles.

Might be worth a shot before replacing things.

Hope this helps,

Frank
Old 06-02-2003, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
Before replacing the fuel pump I would try a couple of tanks full of good gas with Chevron Techtron (spelling) gas treatment. I have seen this stuff free up the check valve on more then a few vehicles.
Or simply dump a can or two of Techron into the fuel tank... most automotive parts stores carry it. Never thought about that, it may help... but I thought that most major brands of gasoline already contained a decent fuel injector cleaner additive, don't they?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:40 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Quote:
Or simply dump a can or two of Techron into the fuel tank... most automotive parts stores carry it.
Thanks Jerry, that is exactly what I was trying to say. It just didn't come out that way!

Frank
Old 06-03-2003, 11:04 AM

Quote:
but I thought that most major brands of gasoline already contained a decent fuel injector cleaner additive, don't they?
At the base exchange, thier gas has been bad on occasion. Plenty of crap in it.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Hey just a quick update in case anyone else has the same trouble. We fixed the hard starting problem. It was the regulator/ check valve on top of the fuel pump. The fuel would drain back into the tank. If we cycled the key a couple of times the problem would go away. So.........

We tried to order the regulator/check valve on top of the pump by itself, but didn't have any luck getting the part into our local dealer. So we gave up and ordered a new fuel pump assy. My price at the local Jeep dealer was about $250. My mom lives in Big Bear and uses the Jeep as her daily driver, so it was worth it to fix.

Starts right up now just like new

Thanks for all the help!
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350